Format: Hardcover|Change

on 27 July 1999
Never before has any book on those first tentative, dangerous voyages to the moon managed to come within a Lunar Mile of this awe inspiring work...To say that Michael Light (with considerable assistance from a number of digital specialists) has managed to present to the reader a series of images that leap from the beautifully designed pages with a vividness I have found breathtaking is to dwell in the land of gross understatement. The digital scans from the master negatives and transparencies are the sharpest, most biting images of those times I have seen...Colour is used sparingly, with intelligence...the majority of the photographs including the amazing cover image are in black and white from an archive of rarely used material and are therefore incredibly graphic in their representation of the lunar surface. but the most striking feature of this masterwork is the emotive power of those images (you cannot simply call them photgraphs because it is obvious that Michael Light's personal vision is present in both the choice of stills and also in the way they have been assembled in this book, often spanning in gatefold fashion two full pages).
on 16 June 1999
It seems a fitting that this book has been published so close to the 30th Anniversary of the first moon landing. This work is simply breath taking! Many of us have heard the stories of the photograph entitled "Earthrise" and how amazing it is. But I've was never overly impressed by the image until I saw it in this book. At the risk of sounding melodramatic, I was speechless. It seems that the photos have been reproduced from the original NASA negatives and transparencies which accounts for the unusual clarity of the images. The images of the lunar lander close to gigantic mountains and craters gives one a real impression of what the astronauts achieved. These aren't pictures of gentle, flat planes we often see the LEM sitting on but, a rugged, hostile terrain that reminds me somewhat of the Peak District (England). I marvel at the astronauts flying abilities and courage. What I also like are the slightly smudged images (due to camera shake etc) that show that these are photographs taken by a person and not a remote control camera. I too like the smudged image of Gene Cernan covered in moondust. Apparently he had moondust under his fingernails for weeks after coming home. A landmark book!
on 26 March 2017
Excellent book
on 27 April 2017
wonderful book
on 31 January 2001
These beautiful photographs simply take your breath away. You almost feel as if you're there.
A fitting testament to the Apollo program and all the people who made it happen.
on 8 June 1999
As a small child, I watched the Moon Landings on my parent's scratchy black and white television. My memory of the landings is pretty hazy and blurred - much like the television pictures we were used to from the early seventies from these incredible events. I remember wondering how a television cable could stretch all he way to the Moon. Now, some 30 years later, (and a degree in astrophysics) I understand a little better what went on. However, it was not until I saw this book that I could say I could feel what went on. Looking at these photographs was like having cataracts being removed from my eyes. The photography is breathtaking. Stark grey landscapes punctured by tiny burst of colour, brought from Earth on the astronauts clothing and equipment. The photograph that sticks in my mind is that of an astronaut, back in the lander, having just removed his spacesuit after a moonwalk. The cramped area inside the lander has resulted in his whole body being covered in Moon dust brought in by his boots and suit. You can almost smell it.
on 29 July 1999
NASA has kept the origional Apollo master photographs locked up since they were brought back, so up until now, all we have ever seen are fourth and fifth generation copies. For the first time, this book contains copies straight from the master film. It really makes a difference. I have never seen space photography of this quality printed before anywhere else, the images are of extremely high resolution and the printing is superbly crisp. I would recommend this book to anybody, although for people with an interest in the subject, I would say it is a must. These fantastic images cannot fail to impress.
on 24 February 2000
Full Moon captures that moment in time between 1965 and 1972 when Apollo was underway. These were the days before computers, the web and the Internet were thought of as consumer items. The beauty of the pictures and the starkness of many show fragile humans far from home. It is a book to wonder at. The pictures were exhibited in London during 1999 and although a book cannot display them as well as when hung on a wall and well lit, it does allow the reader to relive those amazing moments when the human race left Earth and waled on the Moon.
on 6 October 1999
An amazing collection of photographs. They are astonishing on so many levels, the concepts, light, the fine detail are a compelling document of the various moon missions.
Well done Nasa for eventually releasing these images
on 9 July 1999
For anybody with the vaguest interest in the Apollo missions this book is a must. The sharpness of the photography is quite literally out-of-this-world. I can't stop looking at them. I want more of the same now.