on 17 October 2009
K.S. William's has said it all about Jerry White's book. Touching upon every aspect of the development, structure and life of the city - the physical development and redevelopment of its buildings, infrastructure, transport and services - hospitals, schools, sanitation, charities and poverty relief - the evolution of local government, policing, crime, punishment, trade and industry, demographics and sociology - the life and times of its people, mainly from the viewpoint of the working class, then the vast bulk of its population, political movements and organised labour. Amusingly, the author gently satiries the churches and the endeavours of the multiplicity of rival evangelical movements to save souls and cure society's ills.

A vast mass of research has been digested into a book that is page-turningly interesting. In it, all the seeds of the present-day city can been seen growing. It makes the 19th century feel truly alive and real.
16 people found this helpful
on 27 November 2012
I am so impressed by Jerry White's totally absorbing, accessable and fascinating history of 19thC London, how it worked and lived, how it developed, it's laws and lawlessness, traffic, conditions, building, local government or lack of it, it's markets, tenements, entertainment, personalities and seemingly limitless information on every aspect of living in the beautiful and awful city that was London then. So much to read and absorb, and for me born in London but raised elsewhere, it bought a fresh sense of belonging.
One person found this helpful
on 11 April 2015
An awful lot of facts here. I found I had to read it selectively because there was so much to take in. I was researching family history and learned a great del about the lives my family may have experience and the changes that have occurred especially South of the river which was the area that they came from. It also tells a lot about the particular traits and characteristics of Londoners
on 2 August 2010
this book is really good, you can feel the places he is talking about, see how the city changed but also its affects on the inhabitants and the way the inhabitants changed the place. dispels a lot of myths about modern life, you will see from reading this book that a lot doesnt change even within a fast changing metropolis like london, you will see parallels with our own society and see how we developed out of 19th century london. Im also amazed at the stuff we werent taught at school about this period.
My only complaint is that there are no maps, i read it alongside the A-Z! so that I could understand what he was talking about
6 people found this helpful
on 29 April 2012
I had my doubts about this book at first because I immediately came across familiar material (probably because I have read many books on this subject), however my doubts were dispelled and for someone engaged in writing a book myself on the so-called practice of Baby Farming in Victorian England i found the care taken researching the subject matter could not be faulted, moreover for the most part I found it very readable and the author is to be commended. One criticism, and the reason why I have given the review 4 stars and not 5 is that I felt the last couple of chapters did not seem to seamlessly flow towards a conclusion. i felt, these final chapters should have been integrated in with the book further back.London In The Nineteenth Century: 'A Human Awful Wonder of God'
on 22 November 2017
Some of it very familiar but generally a fresh and well-considered survey.
on 13 June 2015
fault it was bad now being poor the was terrible
on 28 December 2015
Very informative - recommended
on 19 December 2015
Another success for Jerry White. A readable account of London's expansion. Very interesting.
on 26 November 2017
The don of all London writing.covers everything and more.