Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 16 March 2006
One thing I can say is I enjoy a good film. O.K. if it moves I’ll watch it. But until I read this book I really was just looking with out seeing.
It is nice to have this guide confirm what one knows as common sense. Probably because the guide is designed to take you from ground zero to a level of appreciation and allow you to convey your opinion intelligently.
If you have an earlier edition you will still get the essence of the book. Newer editions add different resources and research information.
Some of the highlights are:
• A shot-by shot analysis of a sequence from the film “Potemkin”
• Suggestions on using the Internet
Six Approaches to writing about Film
Style and Structure in Writing
Researching the Movies
Manuscript Form
This guide is an eye opener.
on 26 December 2003
As a film student this book was on our list of books in the first term, and has proved to be incredably helpful! Even though I studied A-level film and knew a lot by the time I started my Degree, I still struggled when it came to writing essays and this book guides you onto the right path in terms of film anaylising. Now in my second year we are expected to write more sophisticated work, but I still use this book as a guide whenever I'm stuck and can always gain something new from it everytime I use it. Well worth buying if you are a student.
VINE VOICEon 1 July 2013
One thing I can say is I enjoy a good film. O.K. if it moves I'll watch it. But until I read this book I really was just looking with out seeing.
Some of the highlights are:
* A shot-by shot analysis of a sequence from the film "Potemkin"
* Suggestions on using the Internet
Six Approaches to writing about Film
Style and Structure in Writing
Researching the Movies
Manuscript Form

This guide is an eye opener.
on 22 February 2010
This is an excellent guide to writing about film but also works as an aid to viewing film. It is very well written and easy to read, a novice would have no problem understanding the terms and references.
If you love film with this insight you will love it even more.
It is a useful tool for all types of writing about film and covers different types of writing from the review through to the academic essay.
A must have for anyone interested in writing about or even producing their own films.
on 28 March 2013
My tutor at Uni recommended this book to help me get my marks up in my essays for my BA degree course in Digital Film and Video. It is very good and it doesn't waffle and gives very good tips but for a thin book only 171 pages it is very pricey at £26. But having said that, many books are padded out to look like more than they are. This is a very precise and useful book.
on 28 September 2014