Customer reviews

on 30 June 2003
This is a superb book that gets straight to the point for anything you want to do in Photoshop. Want to create a drop shadow without using an effect? Six steps and you're done. Convert a path to a selection? 3 steps and you're there.
The pages are set out in two column format (think newspaper columns). The text is in one column and the screenshots showing you where you are and what's going on are in the other column. It's also loaded with tips and shortcuts and even the section entitled "The Basics" contained points, techniques and shortcuts that I wasn't aware of.
What it is missing is the "suppose you wanted to put a new hat on your Aunty" or "you want to see what your family pet would look like with green eyes". You're not going to find that in this book. But, if you look up "Replace color" in the index and flick to the correct page, 8 steps later and Rover is sporting those green eyes you had in mind.
Overall, this book is brimming over with facts. If you're looking for a book that you can use as a reference book and as a "what else can I find out about Photoshop today then?", you would be well rewarded to give this book a try.
on 3 November 2003
Visual Quick Start guides are by far the best learning books ever made, forget the 'for dummys books' these are the real deal. I cannot recomend these enough.
I'm dyslexic and had real problems with the dummy books but the visual guides are so well written even i could understand them and they helped me through all my exams
on 26 September 2009
This book is a thorough guide to all possiblities Photoshop7 offers. It explains clearly with numerous b&w illustrations a step by step guide which is easy to follow. It is also easy search and to check up on parts forgotten.
Although there are some interesting examples of artists' work in colour there is no explanation as to how they were made, which is a pity and seems therefore rather pointless. We all know what can be done but we want to know how to do it. That is why we buy such books. Some coloured examples, instead of so many small b&w ones, which show the processes would enhance the book no end.
on 4 July 2014
The first time I read a copy of this book was at my local library and had it out a few times after that.I ask them where I could buy a copy.Amazon was suggested where I found a few copies being sold for £1 plus postage.When it arrived it was as quoted "shelf soiled".The books condition was as if I had bought it from my local bookshop which is the reason for 5 stars

Robert H
on 23 July 2016
Very good just "upgraded" to Windows 10 so also " upgraded from photoshop 6 so needed to know what extra was on offer
on 5 September 2015
Thanks. I haven't used it yet. It's brand new, bought with a very small fraction of a £.