on 12 July 1999
This book does an excellent job of clearly and concisely showing how to create production-quality servlets. It provides useful foundation material about protocols and the Web, which you can skim if you already know this stuff. The servlet topics themselves are presented in a step-by-step manner that never leaves you "hanging". Anyone with basic Java programming skills should find this book suitable. Programmers with some familiarity with servlets should also find some useful suggestions for more effective techniques.
I highly recommend it.
on 28 June 1999
While this book spends a considerable percent of its pages on "Introduction to the Web" and servlet basics (you don't get to write "Hello World" till chapter 5!), it does take off from chapter 7. There are good examples and the accompanying CD has everything you need to start trying out servlets on your own machine.
I bought this book primarily to find more info on implementing servlets for JDBC database access; and I wish they could have covered this topic more comprehensively (they only devote 15 pages to this topic)... but what they did give me was more than enough to get started on a dynamic database-driven web application.
While I am experienced at other methods, I knew close to nothing about servlets; so I found this book's pace quite appropriate. For those who code Java in their sleep, this book will probably not help very much.
Buy this book if you want concise, clear-cut, introductory examples in servlet programming.
on 7 July 1999
I have been developing websites for three years using Perl, ColdFusion, ASP, and Netscape's Live wire. This book made Sun's Java Servlet API as straight forward as any web development technology I have come across. I cannot believe I did not take the Java plunge sooner! If I did have a complaint it would be a lack of deeper coverage of JDBC and more source code on the CD. However, this book did make me comfortable enough to do my own investigations in newsgroups, listservers, and resource sites.
This is an ideal Servlet primer, but do not expect to find any tutorials on the Java language itself - this is pure Servlet API.
on 25 June 1999
I am certainly not new to programming, but I WAS new to Java servlets. And even though I hadn't written a lick of Java before this book, it was not very hard to follow along. One of the great things about this book is that it's not a monster in size! I got through it in a few days and I'm ready to put my first servlets into production. It covers a lot of topics in just the right detail. I was extremely pleased. I've also e-mailed the author with some questions and he has been amazingly receptive and helpful. Go buy this book! And tell Dustin that Neil sent ya!"
on 11 June 1999
This book gives you everything you need to get started writing server-side Web applications in Java. It takes you through essential background information, such as the HTTP protocol and TCP/IP, explains how to install and configure a web server to run Java servlets, and builds usable applets using clear explanations and real-world code examples.
on 26 July 1999
This book encapsulates everything you need to know to get started with Servlets. The examples and reference materials were expertly put together. I highly recommend this book to anyone serious about learning Servlets.
on 10 November 1999
Good primer, although it doesn't cross into the JSP world