on 21 September 2017
This textbook is an excellent source of information and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn in detail about the theory and application of relational databases. However, if you are in the UK, I would warn you of the following:
I bought a new copy of Database Systems by Connolly and Begg (ISBN 9781292061184) from Amazon.co.uk. Inside the front cover there is supposed to be a scratch code to enable me to access the support website. However, my copy does not have a scratch code - it just has a blank space where the scratch code should be.
On the inside cover it says "Your textbook includes one year of prepaid access to the book's Companion Website".
I have looked at the website and it states that further codes can be purchased for $24 but, since my copy has never had a scratchcode, I should not have to do that.
I contacted Pearson Support but they failed to reply to my email. Eventually, I decided that I would, reluctantly, pay the $24 because I particularly wanted to download the database that the book uses as an example. When I followed the instructions provided on the inside cover my credit card was rejected because it was a UK card. The Pearson website is a nightmare to access because it is very difficult to find the right contact email address to use.
on 19 September 2016
It was a book for uni. If you study this stuff then you will need this book, or one very similar. If you don't study or work in the industry, then what are you doing man??? Buy a game or a cd or something.
on 2 October 2008
I first used this book alot (second edition) when I had to teach a course to HNC and HND students at South East Essex college in 1999. It it the main book I used to put together my notes

Generally an excellent text-book. It doesn't quite carry the clout or precision of C. J Dates book on database systems, but it is far more practical. Not only are the explanations simpler, but there are more practical examples. Also because it is a newer book it is a little more up-to date. The fact that it includes examples in ACCESS as well is an added bonus for teachers and students who have no choice but to use ACCESS.

Certainly the best text for students at the HNC/HND level.
on 18 November 2012
This book places a strong emphasis on good design practice, allowing readers to master design methodology in an accessible, step-by-step fashion. In this book, database design methodology is explicitly divided into three phases: conceptual, logical, and physical. Each phase is described in a separate chapter with an example of the methodology working in practice. Extensive treatment of the Web as an emerging platform for database applications is covered alongside many code samples for accessing databases from the Web including JDBC, SQLJ, ASP, ISP, and Oracle's PSP. A thorough update of later chapters covering object-oriented databases, Web databases, XML, data warehousing, data mining is included in this new edition. A clear introduction to design implementation and management issues, as well as an extensive treatment of database languages and standards, make this book an indispensable, complete reference for database professionals.
on 26 June 2003
This book was the recommended title for my second year university SQL module. I used it a s a complete newbie to SQL and found it incredibly helpful both at a basic descriptional level as well as at advanced level as I progressed. Focus is well split between essential coceptual/logical design, normalisation etc as well as actual code syntax. Absolutely essential reference for anyone using or considering using SQL (includes DBMS specific instructions too for MS Access and Oracle for example as well).
on 16 February 2018
Received with thanks.
on 5 March 2017
Arguably best book for RDBMS for academics.
on 1 April 2014
It's unbelievable cheap. Several pounds for a top quality text book? worth it.

It covers most of points on my database course (theory part). I'm pretty sure my lecturer used it on his slides as well.

Agreed with previous comment on ER diagram, crow's foot is more popular right now, but that's not an big issue I would say, because you could find more introduction on notation online.

Buy an used one (with a good condition of course), it's just basic text book.
on 29 January 2018
Very good book. It maybe nearly 20 years old but due to database design not changibg much in 20 years it is still relevant today.
on 26 July 2016
A fantastic book for my university studies!