Customer reviews

on 8 June 2002
I am a professional developer trying to combine my Java knowledge with more recently acquired UML skills. When I first opened the book I was genuinely impressed with the clarity of thought and language. I have since read it from cover to cover and my respect for the author has only increased.
He takes a pragmatic view of the RUP focusing on 10 key artifacts (out of 109) and has turned my theoretical appreciation of UML into a practical development tool. I particularly liked his event frequency table and clean presentation of use cases. The book provides an easy to follow example containing enough detail to be real world without distracting from the key messages. The teaching style is excellent, reinforcing ideas and summarizing key points and I found the example code to be clear, helpful and focused.
In summary, I cannot recommend this book too highly for anyone intending to embark upon a Java development using UML. Read the outline. Buy the book. Enjoy learning.
on 12 February 2002
I am an undergraduate in my final year of university currently battling through my dissertation (a Java multi-tier application). I have a fairly reasonable understanding of UML. I could read and understand it but I found that I became lost when starting to create a UML definition of my own. This book has put me back on the straight and narrow like nothing I have ever read on the topic before! I feel now that I could go out of Uni and tackle project mangement with confidence. A truly great piece of work, well explained with great examples (defines event tables and a project vision template that I found particularly useful in getting started). Mr Reed certainly deserves credit for saving my dissertation. Many thanks.
on 22 January 2002
It is not academic! It is not product-centric!It's the first real hands on guide. Gain insight of a whole process from requiremnts analysis to deployment. You can walk through the examples with an JDK, Tomcat and a sheet of paper or, as you can afford, with a bloated CASE environment!
on 29 August 2003
You don't know how to take requirements to design to code? This book will show you how.
You don't know what UML diagrams to use in your design? This book will show you how.
However...
This book does not teach you UML (and it is not supposed to) and doesn't teach you design patterns (It is my opinion that it should have gone a little deeper on patterns but many will disagree).
Overall, it is a brilliant book. Buy it and you'll find that it is money well spent.