on 12 February 2016
To be honest not read! Was on the reading list. Personally, has far too much text. So doesn't work for me to just read and understand the concept. I've not tried to read it as its huge and for me just looking at it overwhelmed me. I think it's a little unfair to give it a bad review as it's just sitting on the shelf and I've not bothered to read it and i had past the module without it.
on 28 December 1998
Excellent overview of Human Computer Interaction principles and, as one would hope, very "user-friendly".
The book is a bit dated as it does not cover HCI over networks, especially in relation to the Internet and WWW. I would hope that a new edition is coming soon.
on 14 January 1999
I have read the book as part of my HCI course at University. Having never touched any aspect of HCI before, I found it gave an amazing insight into HCI. It also gave be the depth that I required, but in a very interesting and understanding way.
on 18 November 1999
Well written with real life examples of HCI in action. This makes it easy to relate the design of HCI to your everyday life. Helped me with several assignments on my BSc in IT.
VINE VOICEon 25 January 2003
This is an excellent book for people with an interest in HCI. Preece has brought in ideas from everywhere and has presented a non-biased and informative resource that can be used from the hobbyist to the practitioner without translation.
The most useful feature of the book - apart from the plethora of varied opinions and information on new HCI technology - has to be that it has been written in English. Simple, honest-to-goodness plain English. Thank you!
If you are a teacher, software engineer, hobbyist or designer, I defy you to find a better laid out, organised or presented resource.
on 28 November 1998
This book is good as an introductory text. (I should know as it was the text for my HCI course.) It covers all the key topics in HCI, but the content is not in-depth. At the end of every chapter, there's a bibliography for those who wish to explore further into a particular topic.
on 7 January 2000
Good introductory coverage of a broad range of theoretical and practical topics. Well structured and presented for both learning and reference. A little dated now on technology topics such as speech and new media. Thorough discussion of selection and use of evaluation methods.