on 7 September 2017
Pitched at about the right level for software developers who may need to use cryptography in their work, but won't actually be writing cryptographic algorithms themselves (if you are thinking of writing your own algorithms then you definitely need to read this book to understand why that's a bad idea).
on 25 October 2017
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 September 2017
There is no better book on introductory cryptography, why it is so important and how it is used. NONE!
on 10 May 2012
You will no longer need to research through multiple books and other channels. The Everyday Cryptography book will literally cover everything (and more) of what you need to know to either create or expand your cryptogaphy toolkit. You can finally do away with having to search around to lookup detailed explanations on topics. It's a really practical size and is light enough and compact enough that it makes traveling a breeze.
The style of the writing in this book flows extremely well and is structured in a manner that allows you to link everything together such as historical algorithms, how they posed the problems and issues to evolve into symmetric cryptography, the details and primitives of symmetric cryptography, then the details and problems which asymmetric cryptography helps to solve. All of this then in addition detail to key management, digital certificates, MACs, hash functions, one-way trapdoors....everything is covered in a manner that is easily and rapidly understood.
This book helps me to keep everything structured and an essential addition to my work in the security field.

If your getting into cryptography or serious about information security - I highly recommend you purchase this book now!!!
Stop reading this and buy it :)

Any questions, feel free to ask.
on 28 September 2012
Even though I studied cryptography to MSc level at RHUL, I read something new in every section of the book. In my opinion this is an excellent text for both the security professional and information security student. I highly recommend the book for its clarity and practicality. Professor Martin has managed to explain cryptography to the non mathematician
on 27 April 2017
Probably the best serious book on cryptography written for non-mathematicians so far. Read this and, for a bit of historical context, The Code Book (Simon Singh) and you'll be more knowledgeable on crypto than 99.99% of the population. Thoroughly recommended.
on 17 December 2012
I have been searching for a good introduction book about Cryptography for a while until I put my hands on this one. With author's unique insight I embarked on a journey into the mystery world of Cryptography. What truly amazing about this book is that through author's lenses I am able to understand how Cryptography infiltrates the world we live in and real connection between the Cryptography and our daily lives without being bogged down with heavy mathematics background knowledge. The book does contain quite technical details on some topics but in very simple plain explanation just like "How stuff works". The most interesting feature about this book is that author sets the scene in our modern world and explains how Cryptography behind the scene works such as every time we withdraw cash from ATM. If you have the desire to explore deeper into it you can always find detailed mathematic explanations, references in Appendix. I highly recommend this book which is truly intellectually stimulating!
on 6 May 2013
This is, by far, the best introductory textbook I have found on Cryptography. The subject is covered comprehensively and is very clearly explained, containing both current examples and (as the title promises) key insights into the practical applications of cryptography. The author has the (rare) ability to convey the importance and the basic mechanics of cryptography without becoming trapped in the mathematical detail, which is the undoing of many other introductory books. The appreciation of the overall security environment into which cryptography is deployed is a real strength.
on 16 August 2015
Absolutely amazing book, very detailed and well structured. This is an author who knows his subject and has the ability to pass on his knowledge in a clear and concise manner. I bought this book because I was working on a project for work using digital signatures and encryption and I wanted to know more about this so I could engage with software developers, it did the trick perfectly, in some cases I have more knowledge that the developers. I would highly recommend this book if you are a project manager or developer and need to know more about encryption.
on 25 May 2012
First a confession - I know Keith Martin, as I have done his course on cryptography at Royal Holloway University of London.

This book is an excellent and comprehensive introduction to cryptography today (as was the course). As a security architect I routinely use cryptography in a variety of ways. This book explains to me why I am doing this, what I should be wary of and what I need to think about when specifying cryptographic requirements. Unusually for this type of text it is very readable, and very progressive - it assumes little pre-knowledge of the topic and adds that knowledge as you go through the text. This is definitely a book that you read from one end to the other.

I strongly recommend this book to anybody working in the security profession - if you deal with cryptography (and everybody does at some point) then this is a first rate introduction to the topic that will take you to an advanced level of knowledge. Having read this book it is possible to dive into some of the more traditional books (like Schneir's 'Applied Cryptography') with a firm grasp of the principles and requirements of this technology.