Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 July 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
So first of all I was surprised how many "old fashioned" names are in the book. I mean I know they are coming back but really, Cecil? Mavis?

Or there are some I've never ever heard of (Drusilla, Theodosia, Gobnat(?!))

The book gives you meanings for some names, but not others, and gives you examples of famous people by that name (but when I say famous, they are really scraping the barrel, eg a character's name in Hollyoaks is an example for Hannah) - so for example for the name Julie they give you the origin (from Julia, which in turn is from Julius - not sure why they don't just say Julie is from Julius) 2 examples (Julie Andrews and Julie Christie) but no meaning (it means youthful, in case you are wondering)

I just don't feel very inspired by this book and am no closer to finding "the" name than I was before - although it did give me a few chuckles on the way!

And I really think some of the names should come with a warning ("are you sure you want to subject your kid to this name?!") as far too many people do not consider their child's school years during which they will most likely be tormented for being a "Cissy" (Cecily) or a "Wally" (Walter)

And don't forget to check what the baby's initials would be - do you really want a PIG? or a SOP?

Think twice!
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For most parents to be, the greatest worry is probably choosing the right name. I know it is for us - six months to go and we don't yet know if it's a boy or a girl, but we are already wracking our brains trying to find just the right name.

This book lists 2500 names in alphabetical order. Each name comes with a short paragraph describing it's history, meaning and famous bearers. It also gives common shortened forms of names. There are indexes of names in `categories' such as biblical names or TV personalities. The compiler has tried to give every scrap of information needed in making a choice, and organised it in such a way as to make it as easy as possible to find something that suits.

After leafing through it we still haven't settled on a name, but we do now have a lot more ideas... A useful book, well orgnaised and with lots of good information. 5 stars.
VINE VOICEon 25 June 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Got this book as i was after one that had modern names in it. This had names i had never heard of. Its a great book full of modern and traditional names for boys and girls. Im sure you will find the perfect name for baby in here. Cant really say anymore about this lovely book. Just BUY IT!
VINE VOICEon 19 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I liked how all the names were alphabetical and not seperated by gender as flitting between two sections would have been annoying. The names themselves appear to be well researched and provide a lot of detail regarding the history of the name. I did enjoy reading the origins of names for fun.

This book is beautifully presented, easy to use and generated ideas that I wouldn't have necessarily thought of.

Not sure how helpful it will be in the final decisions!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 July 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Names used to run in family - for example my Mum was named after her aunt - however, many people these days want names with a meaning; and I did notice that some of the name are a little lacking in description: For example the books states:

"Susan - English vernacular form of Susanna, always the most common of this group of names. A 20th century influence has been the American film star Susan Heywood (1918-75). The spelling Suzan also occurs".

The author has missed out the fact that the Hebrew meaning for the name is "lily" or "lotus".

I would, however, point out that care should be taken when picking a child's name. You need to ensure that you will not be putting a target on your child's forehead.

Think about the name as a whole. If your surname was Daniels would you really inflict Daniel or Jack on the child as a first name? Or if you are a Wall would you call your child Adrian? Or make a Daisy Chain? Or a Richard Head?

Many parents want a more unique name but the wrong choice of name can leave your child with a problem for the rest of their life. It has been shown in a number of studies that unusual names can leave the children/adults with a legacy of prejudgement by others (such as teachers and employers).

You might also want to avoid names which can be used by bullies such as Walter ("Wally").

Choosing a child's name is never as easy as you thought it would be because there is always someone in the family who will say "I thought you'd name him/her after me" and have a sulk.

When choosing a name make sure it is one that both you and your child can live with.
on 14 August 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This was the best baby name book I tried! I managed to beg, borrow or buy quite a few while trying to choose a name for my daughter. The books I looked at ranged from the classic to the kooky. I found the classic ones a little dull and traditional, but the kooky ones were just a bit too off-the-wall (no, I don't really want to call her Azalea or Zenith). This was a wonderful middle ground. It had a good range of names covered, including the traditional, those inspired by literature and the classics, the quirky and modern.

I'd also like to say that I really rated the explanations. I know quite a bit about etymology and I found that this book was actually very sound on its definitions of where names came from and this made it more interesting.

I particularly loved the sections at the back of the book, which rounded up some names in 'themed' lists such as flowers, nature, gods & goddesses, etc. It was just refreshing and inspiring to have options to browse through in something other than A to Z order!

The one thing I would have liked to see, which was lacking here as with many other baby name books, is a guide to pronunciation. This would have been very helpful as sometimes one just doesn't know with unfamiliar names.
VINE VOICEon 30 July 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is quite a comprehensive list of names which will come in handy when choosing a name for your baby or just for those who are interested in names and meanings. Male and female names are listed all together, in alphabetical order. There are a few inaccuracies in spellings and meanings but I am yet to find a baby name book which doesn't have these, especially in the Arabic names. I still give it 4 stars because overall it is good, and I have seen books with far more mistakes than this. It also includes lots of lists like unisex names, names from literature, names from mythology.
It is a good solid baby name book, very traditional and with plenty of names and information and that is what you want really!
on 24 February 2016
Useful tool in the pre baby planning. In the end, not needed and in hindsight, was a waste of money as we picked out a name that was on our list before purchasing this book.
on 29 December 2014
Good book with lots of names... So many in fact it made it harder to choose!
Still haven't decided.. Still flick through this occasionally hoping one will pop out me
on 19 May 2015
Was looking for a book of names to browse through. Very pleased with this. Lots of names along with their meaning. Perfect to give a rough idea in early pregnant.