on 22 April 2014
I bought this book because it is recommended for an OU course. I am not Moslem so I needed a fairly basic introduction. Some books I looked at are so basic that they would insult almost anyone's intelligence, while others are aimed at people who already have a sound knowledge. This book is pitched at exactly the right level for the intelligent beginner.
12 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 29 January 2016
I've always rated this book quite highly. Students find the opening chapter hard-going, but it is easier after that. This updated edition maintains the distinction it makes in the earlier edition between Islam and Islamism, stressing that the latter is not Islam. But it doesn't come across as convincing and isn't a sufficiently self critical idea (other scholars have argued quite strongly that this is simplistic; and it isn't clear which model is being used as normative of the religion). I have sympathy with the approach, but the early chapters left me not fully convinced.

Being a little picky, I feel the very familiar passages, now quite old, swiftly brought up-to-date by recent events seems a little lazy. The book probably needs a re write (following what is happening with other VSIs on religions).
One person found this helpful
on 21 April 2013
This is very good as an introduction to Islam but I did find the early chapters slightly confusing - not because it is badly written (it isn't) but simply because the early history of Islam is very confusing - the early doctrinal shifts. In other words, I suppose I would have preferred it to be even shorter and simpler. But that is a reflection of me. I certainly finished the book with a clearer understanding of what is happening in the modern world - which is what I wanted - and I finished the book with an increased admiration for Islam - a much-misunderstood religion. The maps are excellent.
9 people found this helpful
on 7 April 2017
A good overview of Islam but would have preferred some deeper examiniation of the faith
on 5 February 2016
quite a heavy read - but a good way into learning more about what seem to dominate the news at the moment.
on 9 May 2016
Excellent as usual a concise introduction
on 5 May 2014
Good little guide which gives all the information you need to understand Islam at a glance. Well written and informative
One person found this helpful
on 8 April 2013
Not such a good rating as, compared with other books of a similar nature, this one was informative but very difficult to read and understand.
2 people found this helpful
on 5 November 2015
great product well packed prompt delivery Thanks!
on 5 February 2016
Heavy going but informative.