Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 June 2012
I must congratulate the joint authors/editors, Mark Hanna and Mike Dodd, on taking on the development of a new edition of the standard essential law for journalists textbook covering the UK.
They are so well-qualified to cope with the task- one (Hanna) now a respected academic in the journalism education field at Sheffield University, and the other (Dodd) a legendary editor of the Press Association's 'Media Lawyer.'

They have managed to brilliantly and accurately assimilate the whirlwind changes in primary (case law and legislation) and secondary media law (regulation), have slimmed down the printed book and developed an effective companion web-site. As something of an old hand myself in teaching media law, I take my hat off to them, will order the book for our library, and recommend it to my students.

The difficulty we all face in this field, and so do our trainees and journalism students, is the dangerous and continuing assault on media freedom and open justice in Britain, combined with the disturbing political moral panic accompanying the ongoing Leveson Inquiry.

Stability, consistency, logic, basic standards of rule of law, and freedom of expression are fragile quantities, as anybody reading the balanced and neutral presentation of the issues in this edition will certainly find.

*****
In the light of the scandal about fake, malicious and manipulated reviews on Amazon, I am happy to declare that I have very limited professional acquaintance with the 2 authors. Mike Dodd has published one article (unpaid)that I wrote for PA Media Law Newsletter. I paid for the copy of the book I reviewed.
on 8 March 2016
It's called Essential for a reason. I have every version since the 11th edition. It gets thicker as the legalities of journalism get more complex. But this isn't a complex book. If you want to know what you can legally say in any medium, this is for you. You shouldn't break the law, just know how far you can bend it ;-)
on 13 December 2016
Saw this new version of the book released while I was at college (I had borrowed the 21st version – this one is the 23rd), ordered it in class and by the time I got home they delivered it thanks to Amazon Prime. It is exactly what I was after and I look forward to study time because this book will just make everything so much easier…instead of hunting through my college notes I have all the things I need to know in one place. It is a lovely book to hold and the pages are great quality. Very pleased and would recommend.
on 6 August 2015
This is regarded as the bible by journalists when it comes to tricky legal issues but it explains some very basic issues very well for trainee journalists or bloggers.
(I still have my original - the Walter Greenwood version from many years ago!) That was much easier going but that's not because of the writing but the fact that the law is now SO much more complicated for journalists!
A great book for those entering the industry AND a must-have on every hack's desk.
on 9 December 2012
I am a journalism student and I bought this book for a media law class. It is very easy to read, it makes law simple to understand! I would usually sell my books on after reading them, but this is one I'll be keeping for future reference! Would definitely recommend for other students.
on 19 September 2013
I have been using different editions of this book for a long time. Been a while since I saw a new one and the latest offering has been suibjected to a lot of decorative typography. It used to look like a law book. Now it looks like a website. Content still much the same, though. The book is comprehensive, up-to-date and concentrates on the practical stuff. For my taste it's a bit cautious in its advice on some topics. This is the book your libel insurer hopes you will read. If you want to be a star investigative reporter Robertson and Nichol pay more attention to what you can get away with. If you want to pass the proficiaency cert law exam then this is the book for you.
on 9 March 2013
IF AMAZON SAYS: ONLY AVAILABLE ON KINDLE FIRE - DON'T BOTHER - IT MEANS "UNREADABLE!

MY ORIGINAL REVIEW (NOT CAPS BELOW) WAS ATTEMPTED ON THE ACTUAL KINDLE FIRE: YOU MAY SPOT IT'S ALSO ALMOST UNREADABLE:.

* THIS E-BOOK APPEARS TO BE A PDF OR EQUIVALENT SCAN OF THE PAPER BOOK
* IT DISPLAYS 2/3 OF A PAGE ON EACH KINDLE PAGE
* THE FONT IS NOT SCALEABLE (IF YOU EXPAND TEXT TO GET 1/2 A PAGE PER KINDLE PAGE, WHEN YOU MOVE TO THE NEXT PAGE IT RESETS)
* THIS IS NOT A KINDLE BOOK !

AFTER ATTEMPTING TO WRITE A REVIEW ON THE ACTUAL KINDLE FIRE, I GAVE UP, REQUESTED A REFUND AND UPDATED THIS REVIEW (ON A PC) IN ANGRY CAPITALS!!

I AM REALLY ANNOYED, REALLY REALLY ANNOYED AND LET DOWN!!!!! IT SEEMS I CAN'T POST A ZERO STAR REVIEW........

kindle Fire-typed review follows:

I canister or correct any subsequent text. I AM REALLY DISAPPOINTED WITH BOTH THE BOKK AND THE KINDLEI wanted to buy this for my kindle (original old b&w version) but it is not available on the basic kindle. So I thought maybe I w poo mud upgrade to kindle VS fire to get the amazing g fantastic super features I'd get on this Fire only ebook

What a mistake!!! 1) this book ok s virtually unreadable. 2) the Fire VS won't even let you write reviews. I am typing this blind... but t silly none of the text I am(trying to) type appear on screen. The"focus" appears go . Stuck on line 2
on 16 June 2014
If you are studying Media Law or Journalism then you definitely need this book. I bought this for my university course but there is a lot of information you need to know for when you are out in the field. The book has examples to help explain a lot of points and it tells you everything in regards to Media Law.
on 13 February 2013
I bought this as a kindle edition, to find that it has been scanned and no compatible with my Kindle. I can download it to my computer, and my phone's kindle app (and my boyfriends tablet) but they are not ideal for taking into lectures and working from (its fine using it on my laptop when at home, but I need the textbook during lectures too, which I would use the kindle for). I quickly returned the book once I learned this, which was very easy. It is ridiculous paying such money for a kindle edition that does not actually work on the kindle.
EXTREMELY disappointed with Amazon.
on 4 December 2013
This book really helped me with my media law module at university. It has everything inside that could possibly help you with, whether it be for essays or just to help you expand more and give you a better understanding.

A great buy, money well spent!