on 22 July 2014
This book is a very helpful summary of the key events that have taken place in the Israel / Palestine conflict since it began over 100 years ago. It is very easy to read and draws out the important points in each part of the chronology without labouring over the detail. Crucially, and unusually, it is written entirely objectively and without implicit bias for one side. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the history of this conflict and who wants to understand the context of today's fighting.
on 14 April 2014
I needed a short factual book to enable me to come to grips with what was the real and unbiased assessment of the Israeli/Palestinian situaton and this book ticked all the boxes for me. I feel that I can now go on the read other books now that I have a base to start from.
on 15 September 2014
If, like me, you have very little knowledge of the Israel, Palestine conflict then this book is for you. It's a step by step guide chronicling the history of the conflict. It's a hugely interesting read and has helped me better understand an area of the world that previously I'd ignored. The author is seemingly objective in his writing, which for me was essential when I chose this book.
on 24 September 2017
Very well written and very informative, puts over a very complex situation very well. After reading this book I feel I have a more balance knowledge of the situation.
on 4 March 2017
Good concise and balanced explanation.
on 4 March 2017
Excellent summary. Strongly recommend this a introduction to the history of this complex geopolitical region.
on 28 October 2013
An excellent summary - the author manages to simplify what seemed and extremely complex issue into one which was manageable and easy to understand. Bunton takes a chronological approach to explaining the conflict and follows its development from the late 19th century to the present day. Would highly recommend this book to anyone who wishes to understand more about this hugely significant conflict
on 14 November 2013
As a so-called specialist on the topic I read this with a degree of hesitation as I wanted something balanced and accurate for my under graduate and post graduate students. This is the best 'introduction' I have found. It is succinct, accessible and balanced. All you could ask. It is very good and for any one who wants a fair idea (it can do no more than that) this is as good a starting point as any.
on 12 March 2017
A great way to fill in all the gaps in one's knowledge, a must for anyone with an interest in Middle East Politics
on 16 August 2015
Would really recommend this book, found the content pretty unbiased (although didn't quite agree with some descriptions). Chronological order was of great use and as you'd expect ideal in referring back whilst progressing through. If, like I was/am, you are tired of having a really low/generalist view on what really is a horrible conflict, please give this a try. I've no doubt you will gain some valuable insight which, along with future reading, will go some way towards informing your opinion.