Customer reviews

on 3 February 2012
Good book, summaries key law from the Blackstone's student officer handbook well and is small enough to take on shift. Unusually for a book of this type it goes into detail about the special constabulary and its purposes however as with all police books regional differences sometimes mean it's descriptions have to stay loose! Also the contents pages aren't clear and makes it hard to get to the helpful stuff you'll need and the book could do with a small update
on 9 April 2012
Not the most exciting subject in the world, but a trustworthy book. The content is accurate and helpful for the "average" special constable. If you're in a more specialist role then you'll need to look elsewhere for the detail - but this is a good overview of 90% of the jobs that you'll be called to.
on 21 June 2011
I bought this book as I am due to start Special Constable training soon, and I wanted to do some pre-reading. Whilst not being a 'cover-to-cover read' (the authors do only highlight it is a reference book) I found it really interesting to read a little about the history behind the Specials, and their integration into the Regular Police Forces- not too heavy, and written with a certain humour at times.

The book covers everything from basic law, crime scene investigation, stop and search procedures, right down to uniform and what you can expect from a Specils training programme.

I would recommend this book for anyone who is commencing Special training, or who has an interest in basic law enforcement/the role of the Special Constabulary.
on 1 July 2012
The full massive blackstone book I was given in training was just too long and daunting whereas this I found easy to read and a good reference guide. It covers most of stuff we get to do as specials and the law surrounding it. Personally I think every special should get as part of their training. Having just become independent I found this particularly useful but its well worth a read whether you're just starting out or if like me you've been a special for a little while.
on 10 January 2011
I havent started my training yet but this book is very helpful from what I can gather. Its got so much information in it and I learnt a lot reading through. All the info is concise and its all relevant i think to training. But becuase I havent actually started training yet I cant comment on how helpful it is with that but i can imagine it to be useful and I am pleased I have bought it now.