on 1 March 2014
I'm a medical student who didn't do Biology A-Level or Chemistry, and as such I find the vast majority in my year a lot more apt at understanding how things fit together; there are basic biological things like ATP and so on that are assumed knowledge. This book is really helping me to get to grips with whatever I'm studying, every time I open the book. Every. Single. Time.

It's more detailed of course than A-Level standard, and I fully expect this book to go with me beyond Medical School since it offers such a brilliant overview of practically every major topic. It's a gem.

If Batman held me off the edge of a tall building and made me throw out every text book but one, this would be the one I would keep.
on 3 October 2014
Bought as a gift for a friend starting med school. Apparently she has found it useful. Note that as this is supposed to be a light, easy carry book, the paper used for the pages is quite thin and so you can to some extent see the text on the other side of the page through the paper.
on 25 January 2012
I am a fourth year medical student. The new 2nd edition of the oxford handbook of medical science has some exciting new and engaging ways of learning those complicated physiological pathways and to get to grips with your basic anatomy. This book compacts fundamental scientific principles that underpin clinical medicine. With a useful cross-referencing with the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine, there is a clear focus of clinical relevance of specific issues.
Medicine and Society is the new chapter that features in this edition. This chapter covers measuring disease in society, assessing the effectiveness of treatment and the sociocultural context of medicine.

As a medical student, you have vast amounts of information to read and memorise. This book is perfect to cover the essentials that can be applied to clinical medicine. Its intuitive and reader friendly index and contents pages allows one to easily navigate through the book. Online access can be sought at a small price, but is very useful for when you are out and about and have forgotten your book!

The Oxford Handbook of Medical sciences is highly recommended as it contains the essential scientific background we need as medical students to survive through medical school and beyond as doctors.
on 25 April 2012
I am a first year medical student (in a graduate entry course) and discovered this book serendipitously. It looked promising in the book shop but I am continually surprised at how useful it is. It covers quickly and concisely a remarkable range of topics.
The best thing about this book is its ability to clarify complex topics by clearly explaining the most important points. But I also use it constantly to clarify and revise things that I learnt in my undergraduate studies, as an aid in my anatomy study, for clarification of important points for subjects such as histology and pharmacology, and basically anything and everything that I can need to know about as a first year medical student (except a bit of clinical and pathology stuff). It is remarkable how closely the book follows the breadth and depth of the curriculum at my medical school. I also find it useful as an aid in PBL. The diagrams are great too. All in all I would recommend this text highly to anyone who wants to be able to find clear, reliable answers to their basic questions or gaps in their knowledge without having to sift through huge textbooks.
on 24 June 2012
This book is my best buy of my first year in medicine.

As it is the "Oxford Handbook" it contains essentially the whole syllabus for the first years of the Oxford Medicine Course. However i'm sure all medical schools will cover similar stuff in the first year, so this will definitely be helpful for any medical student.

It is clear, and helps you to understand the whole subject. It is not detailed enough for major study, but for some topics the basics is all that is required. And in the rest, having this along with a large meaty textbook is a great combination. It is small enough to always have in my backpack while going to lectures, and is invaluable for last minute reading before a patient course or an exam.

It is well presented and the tassels for bookmarks are handy. The plastic covering to the book prevents wear to the pages, so after nearly a year mine is still in great condition.

All I would say about this book is that there are a few (I've spotted 2-3 in all the hundreds of pages Ive used from it) grammatical problems, sentences that just don't make sense etc. However I found that online there is a way to report such errors, which shows that the publishers are willing to correct them.
on 2 March 2012
I'm a final year student and have only just discovered the Oxford Handbook of Medical Sciences. I wish I'd found it earlier as a student because it would have been perfect in third year to aid a transition from pre-clinical to clinical. It's very readable and explains everything from drug reactions to cellular structure. It's not a replacement for individual textbooks on the subjects it covers but it's size and content make it perfect for carrying around on the wards and clinics, using spare moments which would otherwise be wasted time. Highly recommended.
on 22 January 2012
I am a first year medical student and love the Oxford Handbooks! They are great for carrying around and this one in particular is great for all modules.

This book concentrates on the basic medical science, knowledge that any medical student should have in order to be able to have a greater understanding of the workings of the human body. It is laid out in a very user friendly way starting with the general principles of cells and metabolism followed by individual chapters for the each of the body systems. In each of these chapters it goes through the anatomy, the function and briefly some of the general clinical problems associated with that system.

The text in this book is easy to read, using bullet points and tables. This makes it a useful aid when trying to figure out and/or remember the key points. Despite the size of the book, I was pleasantly surprised at the number of topics covered in each chapter and the detail it goes into.

Overall this is a worthwhile purchase for all pre-clinical medical students. It will not be one of those textbooks that stay on your bookshelf and rarely get looked at, it will be a textbook that you will carry around with you and use daily in all the modules that you study whilst at medical school.
on 4 March 2014
Literally has everything you'll cover during pre-clinical years in a much more condensed form. There is some extra contextual information but it's great to pull out on the bus and do a bit of revision.
on 13 March 2016
This is a great little book for a whistle stop explanation of various different topics involved in medical science. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone revising for exams. However, if you need a quick introductory explanation to a topic that will give you a general idea of the topic before doing inept reading it’s not a bad option.
I would buy it again, knowing what I know about the book now.
P.S. I’m a medical student.
on 1 July 2016
Great book - very highly recommended for all medical students. I'm on the graduate course and it is really useful to have a book that covers the entire syllabus in clearly written prose. I use it to help understand concepts when they are first introduced and again when revising.