Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 December 2012
I'm studying for a marketing diploma and although I have knowledge of marketing I have never really been taught the fundamentals. This book is perfect to go over all the basics. I love the examples throughout the book which help illustrate the theory. Further reading sections and clear diagrams are also really useful. It lost a star though because I still haven't been able to use the online resources as I can't find the code to access it. Doesn't seem to be anywhere in the book.
on 17 January 2014
Before I start, I need to point out that I purchased this directly from my University and not from Amazon, but it IS the same product.

If you are studying Business & Management or Marketing at University, then it's likely that this is a neccessity. If you are in Aberystywth University, or any other university which uses this book as main text, it's likely that some of your examination material will have a lot to do with the content within this book.

Now the book has a lot of modern examples, but the detail that it goes into can be over-the-top at times. Like all textbooks, there is a LOT of content, but sometimes it feels like it repeats itself and brings up unnecessary information, instead of just getting straight to the point, and explaining it in a straight-forward manner. Having said that, the book does explain everything (although if you're a little dumb like me, I can't guarantee you'll understand everything without the help of a dictonary at times, with the terminology that Oxford like to use at times), and despite the length, it is easy to understand. The many illustrations and examples provided can help with understanding the subject more clearly.

All owners will be able to access the Oxford Marketing website, which provides you with more useful resources, such as multiple-choice question tests, flashcards and more resources. You don't need any activation codes or keys however. Just type in the URL in the book, and you'll be able to access all of the material easily.

If your course lecturer states clearly that you NEED this, then make sure you get it, as it's likely they will cover everything in this book for the module exam. The information is necessary and is easy to understand, so don't think you will be wasting your money on this if you get it.
on 10 March 2011
I bought this book to teach myself some marketing principles. I am a post-grad and was looking to develop my business skills.

The book is great! It is well divided into suitable topics, provides useful real world examples of marketing strategies put in place in the past. It is also an easy read!

Ignore the review saying the book is badly written. It provides just enough detail and stays interesting. I question if the reviewer was upset with the book, or the course he had chosen to study.

A good place to start for getting into marketing principles! It has helped me develop my marketing skills, which in turn have earned me good references and job offers.

on 20 March 2013
This book is broke down brilliantly into the main sections of marketing and is really helpful. Would recommend to anyone, the book is extremely detailed but is easy to read. Good use of modern day examples also helps to get your read around some of the points. Excellent
on 19 August 2008
Whether you are new to Marketing or have tried other books then you will find this book a breath of realistic fresh air.

It is presented in an attractive manner that only highly professional Marketing academics could achieve and like all good Marketing it speaks to you and in your language.

Theory presented in an understandable way and backed up by interesting informative Case Studies and many other contributions to bring it to life. And it is honest and credible.
on 20 December 2011
University requirement.
It's a good book and it tries to be innovative.
Have many ways of interaction, and it's very colorful.

I particularly don't like the approach, the paper is kinda plastic which marks the back of the pages if you highlight it with a pencil.

Good book though...
on 15 May 2010
This is the worst textbook I have ever been unfortunate enough to read. The key points are lost in excessively long sentences; I can only assume that the authors were being paid by the word. It also contains some serious grammatical errors, quite frankly whoever proofread it should be sacked. Unfortunately as it is the core textbook for my course I have been forced to read it, but if you have any choice in the matter avoid it at all costs.
on 26 November 2012
How do you make an interesting subject tedious? How do you make a mysterious dark art of manipulation dull and safe? How do you innoculate yourself from criticism by surrounding yourself with bland and trite examples that no one cares about? Read this book? If you want to know what is drilled into the heads of the poor souls that study business. Like it, appreciate it? Nah.
on 16 January 2013
I'm taking marketing as one of my final year courses at university and I agree with people saying it's not really well written -- while it does indeed give a good overview and lots of case studies to provide links with the real world, it truly gives you an idea of how elementary you can push an "easy read" to feel. The sentences are oddly worded, there is often not enough reasoning and depth provided behind arguments, and many of the diagrams contribute next to nothing to the content and feel like just pretty pictures next to the text (a pie chart with 4 equal pieces titled product, place, price and promotion? srsly...?).

Not to nitpick, but personally I found the visual design of the book to be terrible. The reverse skeumorphism with the colorful scrollbars and overdone gradients made me cringe.

Having said all that, if you still just want a quick and basic reference or overview, the book will do just fine. If you're looking for an enjoyable read, stay away!
on 29 October 2013
The book is new and shiny. For anyone involved in marketing studies or anything like that I have to tell you that this book is the best, and most important, up to date.