on 14 March 2013
For the price this is a really good music dictionary. It is not the best dictionary available; the Grove and Harvard are more highly rated but they are expensive. The Oxford has most of the information needed, is concise and very suitable for an 'A' Level student or someone who has a hobby or interest in music.
on 24 September 2014
There's a huge amount of solid information here, and it's a terrible temptation to simply spend hours browsing, hopping from topic to topic - and it is much more civilised than the Internet. BUT it is patchy - very poor on jazz, folk music, and pop, for example. If you are going to cover topics, do them thoroughly. Deliberately leaving them out would be fine if the editors had announced specifically that these subjects would be excluded.

The production, too, gave me some concerns. I noticed a number of printing mistakes (sorry, can't be specific) that simply would not have slipped-through the OUP's copy editors in the past, and the paper is not very pleasant to feel. These things matter, Oxford, if one is buying a physical book rather than images on a screen.
on 30 March 2014
I bought this dictionary of music because I thought it about time I put my old Arthur Jacobs (1976) one to bed. Although there is much more content, both modern and historical, in the new book, I found musical terminology is sadly lacking. In fact, there are more musical terms in my old book than this - which is surprising considering the cost and the difference in size.
on 28 May 2014
My previous copy of The Oxford Dictionary Music was the Fourth edition 1996 which served me well. This new edition is much more comprehensive and (of course) up to date. It's an invaluable companion and tells me most if not all I need to know.
on 9 January 2014
The music dictionary is clear and understandable. Great for my daughter doing her GCSE music and great for me struggling with musical crossword clues too.
on 22 May 2016
As a reference book, this is not a review about which one can write immediately. Last year I bought this edition as a present for my husband's significant birthday as I did the 1994 edition. We have enjoyed it but mostly as a pair since omissions and additions occur over time. For example my husband enjoys the music of Jan Dismas Zelenka who is no longer referenced in the new edition though other newer composers and artists (too many to mention here), are. Roll on the next edition.
on 20 December 2015
Ideal for a dedicated 'general knowledge' crossword geek! And it's props the piano up!
on 2 December 2016
This is the one my tutor recommended. He is a famous pianist in China. This one is brief, standard and accurate. And it is much easier to read in English.
on 8 February 2015
I keep it by my chair and consult it frequently. I find it indispensable.
on 11 January 2015