Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos

on 3 August 2012
This book is essential. I changed my mind to do medicine instead of law and knew there was a lot to research and catch up on. Information on the internet was extremely helpful but sometimes subjective to opinion. This book has been carefully researched and gives a much better prespective for medical applicants. I took this book with me to work experience and refered to whenever I had a spare moment, it is written in simple English and gives highly accurate details of life as a doctor and what to do exactly so you scone a doctor. I must have for any medical applicant.
on 6 May 2011
Bought for my daughter who... wants to be a doctor!! She has read it from cover to cover twice already and it is full of excellent advice for those wishing to pursue a career in medicine. A great purchase, very well researched and written.
on 2 July 2011
As a mature applicant for medical school (2012 entry) I have spent many hours in books and on websites this past year researching for my application. I have yet to come across such a fantsatic and well-researched guide as 'so you want to be a doctor'.

It is thorough (covering the application process from right from GCSE's for those who need it), insightful (with real interview experiences and really quite clever personal statements), detailed (describing separately every standard and graduate medical course in the UK), the admission test section is spot on, and massive credit for page 97!

I even read the chapters that didn't apply to me, and managed to come across some useful additions to help my application. I do wish I had come across this sooner, but it has still been a huge help, and I feel very positive about the (challenging) application process ahead. Thank you sanders, metcalfe and dev!
on 8 November 2013
Obviously I was pleased when my daughter decided she wanted to be a doctor but as neither my husband nor I are doctors and nor is anyone else in our family I found the application process quite daunting. For one thing the closing date for all medical schools is in October which is a full three months before the majority of other degree courses. Secondly, I was dismayed to realise that many medical schools have only one open day a year. Obviously it is a good idea to attend a few university open days but I realised at about the third one that they pretty much all tell you the same thing! Don't worry if you miss or cannot attend an open day - a campus tour instead can be just as useful. The thing is though, how do you decide which medical schools to visit? This is why my daughter and I found this book so valuable - it clearly lays out all the information about the many factors which need consideration by the prospective medical student so that they can work out what their priorities are. It makes fascinating reading for parents too!
on 19 August 2012
After a lot of research I bought it for my 15yr old grandaughter who has wanted to be a doctor since she was 2. She has found this book gives the best and most straightforward information she has found anywhere. We give it the highest recommendaction.
on 1 January 2013
I found out about this book at a Medlink conference and I was initially a bit hesitant as to whether I should get it or not as they tried to sell you so many extra things there. Anyway, I took the leap and ordered the book. When it arrived I was struck by how comprehensive it was. It literally covered everything there is to know about going to medical school, from the decision, to work experience, all the up to medical school itself. I especially found the sections about the UKCAT and BMAT useful and had I not ordered this book I probably would have been shocked at how much I would need to prepare for them nearer the time. The book gives you a birds eye view of the whole application process, even for graduate entry, and this is so helpful as you can plan your Year 12 well and take advantage of it, not leaving things for the last minute. This book will drastically increase your chances of getting to medical school. I whole-heartedly recommend it to anyone even the slightest bit interested.
on 25 April 2013
Firstly I haven't read this book myself but my daughter who wants to study medicine has. She says it has loads of information for would be doctors to help her make informed choices and will be a useful reference throughout the whole medicine application process.
on 21 December 2010
saw this book at medlink, and it has to be the greatest guide on getting in to med school...
....FACT!
on 19 October 2012
Reviews everything you could possibly need or wish to know about getting into medical school. I've read various other books, and this is actually a really good book. Highly recommend it!
on 22 August 2015
Very well written and easy to understand. As a MSc graduate, I wish I bought this book years ago as my careers teacher didn't have nearly as much insight. Takes you through every stage of the application process and full of useful tips. Can't recommend it enough, especially if like me you have had no guidance from teachers.