on 7 October 2016
Has paper cover(long paper covering hardcover book). look at attached photo. I think it is not very useful, would be better
to depict the title directly on hardcover book rather than on its additional paper cover.
About the dictionary:
I compare it with Merriam-Websters on-line Unabridged dictionary and can say that this(Oxford's dictionary)
has word articles written with "simpler" language. Because of that for me, language learner, who is not native speaker
Oxford's dictionary is more useful. Also it is moderately succinct and covers word's main meanings and sub-meanings of every meaning.
Has useful addendum in the form of material in the middle of the book: Alphabets(Arabic, Hebrew, Greek, Russian), Chemical elements, Measures, Countries and the like.
review image
The review is being written from the vantage point of someone whose native language is not English, my native language being Greek. I was using English to Greek dictionaries for a long period of time and increasing frustration. My frustration emanated from more than one reasons but ultimately boiling down to poor quality. For the more unusual words, these were simply absent to the point that I could make the prediction with a certain degree of accuracy but the more frustrating feature was that more often than not they did not provide the correct hue of the meaning of the word;also they did not provide the full complement of the spectrum of meaning of the word depending on context;I do not have to add the lack of providing the meaning of short phrases. Finally it dawned on me that I could possibly use productively an English to English dictionary. I consequently purchased in 2005 the then freshly minted second edition, revised of the 'Oxford Dictionary of English' to instant and continuing gratification with all the previously mentioned limitations miraculously remedied. I use the dictionary on a daily basis because I am a passionate bibliophile and my reading is confined to books and periodicals written in English while I am fastidious in obtaining the precise meaning of the word in a particular context.

I am presently ordering the third edition published in 2010 not because the second edition is dated but because after six years of daily and heavy use even this sturdy hardback edition is beginning to show its age.
on 4 September 2011
Dictionary and part encyclopedia (also spelt: encyclopaedia) as a reference tool this is fantastic. I am doing an Open University degree and this dictionary is a must, it provides complete definitions and guides on word usage. If you like provoking an argument amongst language snobs this is a mine of useful ammunition. Every curious mind should have a copy.
on 10 March 2017
This book is absolutely brilliant. It is bursting with information !
on 10 March 2017
Best all-round dictionary for every day usage.
on 26 July 2017
Purchased by my husband as a birthday present for me as my old edition was getting a bit the worse for wear. I would guess that we refer to it pretty much every day.
on 20 September 2017
Bought as a present for someone - the dictionary itself was fine, but the plastic outer wrap was slightly torn.
on 20 April 2017
Exact same one in wh smiths was £15 more, so very pleased with this.
on 30 August 2017
Really helpful
on 13 April 2017
Love this dictionary - just as i'd imagined and more inside!