on 12 April 2017
Good!
on 23 April 2013
Seriously, who buys an economics book for some light reading? Well me actually. I know, my brain isn't quite wired correctly but there you go. Anyway, I bought this in an attempt to understand what those untrustworthy, money grabbing, economy derailing, second house expense claiming, nonsense speaking politicians are actually talking about. It turns out they've mainly been reading this book. If you wanted to understand what fiscal policy is, why do interest rates matter, how does the micro and macro economy work? Then this book is for you. Not only does it make you look smart at dinner parties (does anyone have dinner parties anymore?) but it helps you understand a little bit of what they're jabbering on about on the news.

All in all, if you've reached that stage in life where you want to learn something new and you're unsure of what to invest your time in, give this a go.
on 15 June 2008
I used the 10th edition for A level and am assuming the 11th is as good or better.

This is an absolutely excellent text book. It is perfect for A level and I'd think for first year degree.

It is very good for understanding the fundamental concepts and is also well written and engaging, with lots of interesting real-world examples, and very prettily presented so pleasant to work from.

Beardshaw/Brewster/Cormack/Ross "Economics - A Student's Guide" is also good but is better for information and not so good for concept.

Both these books are at the advanced end of things for A level - it's worth having a simpler A level text like Stanlake too.

Anyway - this was my indispensable and favourite A level book.
on 19 December 2009
I do recommend this book. It is full of examples and details. Very useful if you are pursuing your Bachelor through LSE.
on 27 October 2010
Recommendable to anyone who has a good text comprehension, written in a very very clear and straightforward manner, not much superfluous talking. Excellent summaries and practical applications at the end of every chapter!
on 17 February 2014
Economics is interesting but I couldn't continue to read this after a couple of chapters. I am now reading economic and political classics such as Thomas Paine's 'Common Sense' and Rousseau's 'Social Contract' and can't put them down. The problem now is that the only thing that's important in academic books is getting the information in people's heads at great expense to good, interesting writing. How do you expect the general population to be interested in the most important things in their lives (Politics, Economics, etc...) with this boring attitude that treats learning as a chore for people who want a degree so they can get a job. I'm sure there's a lot of important factual information on this book but it's mind-numbingly boring to read and contributes to the massive problems of disenfranchisement with our political system which is a threat to our democratic tradition.
on 18 February 2007
This book was an alternative to Sloman for my Econ101 course at Lancaster University. In my opinion it is much clearer and easier to understand than Sloman.
on 15 December 2011
This book is a lifesaver - it has been a great tool so far to help decode and understand the concepts and models that are so horrendously protracted out in the University of London external Introduction to Economics guide. This book is, admittedly, only very basic in applying mathematical concepts to Economics (University Economics courses typically require a bit more analysis), but as a companion text it will provide you with clear examples, explanation of theory in precise, easy-to-understand terms and relevant real-life examples to help put the theory in context.
on 17 September 2013
this book has covered any possible question could have arisen in my mind regarding any economic theory. it is very good book for introductory economics learners as it explains the reasoning very clearly with examples and analytically explained graphs. i would have liked it even more if there was more mathematics there; anyway that could have made it not very accessible to all kind of learners. i would recommend this book to anybody who is interested to learn about the basics of the economic theories and the economics world itself.
on 17 May 2013
This book has been extremely helpful for my study of my economics module in my first year at University. I tend to use this book for my assignments as it is very easy to read and understand for a first time in economics, even in comparison to my core reading book. I would recommend this book to anyone, especially business students who have not studied the topic of economics before.