on 11 May 2007
I bought this coupled with another "The English Legal System" book and found this one to outweigh the other one i bought both in content and concise information. It is well written and one of the most readable law books i've seen. I actually enjoy reading some of the chapters in this book - they are accessible and to the point. It clearly has an edge on basic european legal principles and institutions and allows you to get a good grasp of the essential parts of the English legal system. Would highly recommend for any law undergraduate. I would be keeping it throughout my degree for reference.
on 26 September 2001
Proffesser Holland is a lecturer at the University of the West of England and this book is an excellent aid to the course he teaches. It is a clear, concise and informative piece of legal literature that no student should be without. It covers the ins and outs of the legal system of the country and helps the reader to think like a lawyer.
on 4 April 2008
I bought this book 3 years ago before starting my LLB, and bought it again last week as I hope to study for an LLM next year and wanted to brush up on my legal skills.

The book is very good at getting a prospective law student to think like a lawyer. It sets out very well the areas that a student needs to know about, such as judicial precedent, statutory interpretation and the now unavoidable influence of the European Union and the European Convention on Human Rights on English law.

Two minor criticisms. Firstly, I think the authors do not clarify or explain certain topics enough, especially as this is aimed at students who have not yet studied Law. Secondly, there are countless typing and printing errors in the 6th edition. This can be very distracting and means that perhaps the book does not convey the professionalism you would expect from a legal text.
on 13 September 2006
This book provides a clear well-ordered overview of legal reasoning. You quickly find yourself thinking like a lawyer. The 6th Edition would benefit from further proof-reading - the 'typos' are quite distracting at times.
on 28 November 2007
I am shortly embarking on a law degree course. I have tried to grasp the rudiments in trying to understand our past & current legal process's via reading books & other data (Acts), but have failed to grasp the precise method/reasoning which is essential to undertake such a course.... up until I bought this book. It has expanded & improved my method for learning which has also given me so much confidence! This book is rather like a manual for a car, so it has proved invaluable for someone like me! It clearly explains everything covered, into an understandable clear format. I know that this book will foremostly be referenced again & again throughout my degree course. Simply a credit to the Authors.
on 8 October 2007
I didn't find this book useful. I think that if you are the average sort of student that wants a bit of help with getting things right, you need a book that talks to you in ordinary language and makes it very clear what you are supposed to be doing. This book didn't do this. It had very convuluted explanations that I found really hard to follow. I'm not the best student in the world but I'm not the worst either but at the end of this book I was none the clearer about what I was supposed to be doing. In all honesty this was a waste of my time reading it. I've asked some of my friends if they thought it was useful as we all had to buy it but I haven't found anyone yet who has used the advice in there and most other students have said that they couldn't get what it was on about either. I mean, make it clear or don't bother. I wish I'd saved my money.
on 16 September 2010
I am not a law student! I purchased this book, as a lay person, with the intent to get an insight into how the law works and I am not disappointed.

Twelve chapters describes what the law is, who makes it, and how. In the opening chapters it details the court system in the Uk and their function.
It then goes on to tell how the law changes over time by decisions made by judges interpreting the primary and secondary legislation as it applies to the facts of the case in hand, mindfull at all times of what decisions have been made by other judges in other past cases (case law) which may restrict them.
It shows, as a law student, how to find the law relevant to a problem and how to read it. The next three chapters are more relevant to a student of law than a lay person. For me, chapters 8-9 (reading and making sense of statutes)was well worth the cost of purchase. The last three chapters deal with European Law

The book is liberally sprinkled with actual cases (unfortunately only the title is given so that any interested party can research it for themselves)to illustrate a legal point, with an index of them at the front. There is also an excellent eleven-page index at the back to guide the reader.

All told a thoroughly good read and well worth the price.
on 18 October 2011
I'm a law student in Hong Kong and this is an additional book suggested by the Legal Research, Analysis and Writing course. This book, however, is useful in more than the Legal Research course. It is also good for any students with interest in getting to know of the UK court structure and legal system.

The book is equipped with up-to-date information and the flow is easy to follow. Authors made an assumption that the readers have only limited knowledge in the subject and provide clear explanation in even the elementary matters. It saves your time to cross reference from different book and provides you with a pleasure read.
on 24 May 2016
I am planning on studying law at university and this provided me with a insight into the world of law. Firstly, the book arrived exactly when expected, as I brought it second hand it was a little worn on the spine and a few light jottings but that was already detailed.

The book is split up into 11 sections which split up different steps of legal studies, from the first chapter of 'Understanding Law' to the last chapter of 'Exploiting Legal Reasoning'. For a beginner I would encourage you to think of a less arduous book, however, to anyone interested in law and has a basic understanding this provides a helping hand on the road to studying law at university. It covers EU Law and the ramifications of the European Legal framework on the British Legal system.

However, I would encourage people to note the edition the book is in, I received mine in the 6th edition, and this should tell you how quickly law can change.

Overall, it was a well worth investment. Though watch out for those edition stamps!
on 7 November 2012
structure of the book is not as great as it could be and the wording can be quite complicated. the law itself is handy but not as good as it could be.