Customer reviews

on 26 August 2017
This book is a thrilling read, and I highly recommend it to lovers of classic literature.
on 4 March 2016
Disclaimer: review of the work itself, not the translation in question!

Whenever anybody decides to refer to the Middle Ages as "The Dark Ages" in front of me, two things inevitably happen. Firstly, my eye starts twitching in frustration, and secondly, I refer them to this or any number off the spellbinding narratives penned during this so called "Dark Age".Troilus and Criseyde (and indeed the works of Chaucer in general) is one of my go to recommendations when confronted with this ignorance.

Having soldiered on and slowly worked my way through Chaucer's masterpiece in the original Middle English, contemplating Chaucer's beautiful poetic majesty all the way, I perfectly understand now why it is considered one of the best narrative poems in the English language. Though 'The Canterbury Tales' are more famous, 'Troilus and Criseyde' is undoubtedly Chaucer's masterpiece.

Set during the Trojan war, Troilus and Criseyde relates a love affair doomed to failiure by the circumstances surrounding it. While it might not be entirely correct to label it a tragedy as such, it does share many elements found in tragic stories (obviously because a love affair between Trojans set during the Trojan war was never going to end well).

The poem has sometimes been described as an early precursor to the English novel, and though that statement is not entirely accurate, it does have some merits. For instance, the introspective style with its psychological focus is part and parcel with what the novel is all about. The main characters are believable and affecting, and though it is based on an earlier work by Boccacio which painted Criseyde in a rather unfavourable light (as post Chaucerian renditions of her also did), Chaucer's rendition of her is surprisingly sympathetic. She is a character with genuine depth, and is given far more agency than a great many female portrayals of the time, which is refreshing to anybody that has read other works from around this period, in which women are more often than not portrayed as either virtuous maidens, or harlots out to trick men into sin.

Throughout the poem Chaucer playfully skims the boundaries of what could be gotten away with in writings of the time, usually claiming that " Myn Auctor Lollius" wrote any parts which could have been construed as "unchristian" for the time. This, coupled with the entreatie at the end to his fellow author "moral Gower" and the fact that Lollius is a complete fabrication show that Chaucer was not above having a chuckle with his author friends at the expense of his general readership, which in my opinion adds a thinly veiled layer of comedy to some of the poem's sections (not that there aren't funny sections, as books 1-3 have some very funny moments).

All in all I would just say to read it, as it is fantastic. Either read it in the original Middle English if you have the time and patience (The Riverside Chaucer is an excellent edition for this), or find a well received translation such as this one, either way if you have any love of the English language and/or great, timeless literature, you owe it to yourself to read this.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 15 September 2004
There surely can't be many tragic love stories more affecting and involving than this. Nor, it seems to me, can there be many that are more original, despite the conspicuous play the author makes of depending on ancient sources. The tale of Troilus and Cressida (Criseyde) derives ultimately from the Iliad through a multiplicity of mediaeval variations, cited in detail by the editor. It is original in the way Hamlet is original, in its depiction of characters and thought-processes, and it does not suffer from the comparison. There are four protagonists, and two are straightforward, contrasted with a wince-making clarity. Troilus himself, son of King Priam of Troy, is a mighty warrior but tongue-tied and shy when it comes to dealing with women, derisive to begin with at the agonies of those who fall in love and then falling hopelessly, suddenly and finally into the same trap himself. How often have we all seen just that happen within our own acquaintance? Diomede, sent to escort Cressida from Troy to the Greek camp as part of a prisoner-exchange, is uninhibited in that respect to the point of outright crassness, with an eye for an opportunity and an easy `nothing venture nothing gain' attitude that I would again guess most of us will recognise without much difficulty.

The other two are anything but simple. Chaucer stays deliberately vague regarding Cressida's relationship with Diomede (characteristically hiding behind his sources - he was anything but straightforward himself), and what if anything remains of her love of Troilus. However it seems to me that there was a calculating bit in her decision to give herself to Troilus in the first place. She could make herself fall in love, and her fascinating speeches with the twists and turns of their thinking say to me that she was no innocent, quite unlike her infatuated wooer. That leaves Pandarus, a creation to rival Iago in a different way. Again, it's left to us to decide what prompted such extraordinary vicarious commitment to bringing the pair together. There may or may not be hints that his motivation was not altruistic, but hints are the most they can be. It is not just a matter of his strange motivation but also of his extraordinary mental agility and speed of reaction. He plots the lovers' tryst in fantastic detail, when the fateful prisoner-exchange is decreed he tries to steer Troilus into a different outlook that in effect abandons the romance he has taken such incredible trouble to arrange, and to the very end he is still trying to manipulate the emotions of the devastated Troilus.

It is all told in an easy and relaxed verse, typical Chaucer in being at the same time deadly serious and tongue-in-cheek. This verse is not as 'poetic' as, say, The Ancient Mariner. It stands in much the relationship to that, poetry-wise, as Hamlet does to Macbeth or Othello. This is a psychological drama, not an opportunity to display the special `tone of voice' and `way of saying things' that Housman thought the essence of poetry. Obviously it is in mediaeval English, and this edition uses the authentic original spellings. This will slow most of us down a bit, but that can actually be a good thing. I found that it not only forced me to read with the close attention this drama needs, it kept me fascinated with the wonderful English language itself, and I had to notice how popular speech and even slang have kept alive ancient meanings of words (guess, deal, gear, right, sweetheart) that have been lost in more formal discourse. Where this edition is particularly helpful is in its footnotes reminding us of the meanings of certain words (and reminding us repeatedly, for which I bless the editor) and translating occasional phrases and lines where we might go wrong. I think I only had to refer some half-dozen times to the glossary at the back throughout a poem that is half as long as Paradise Lost.

The editor is no less a person than the Professor of English at Cambridge, so his introduction has the thoroughly thorough and also thoroughly stifling profundity that I associate with university literature courses. There are also notes at the back, very helpful in the main but obsessed with quoting parallels for the sake of quoting parallels. At V/1176 there is the line `Ye, fare wel al the snow of ferne year', and I thought immediately of Villon's `Mais ou sont les neiges d'antan?' On turning to the back I found that the editor just quoted this obvious parallel without further comment on what the connection might be, and for a moment I nearly hurled the book across the room. Again I wondered whether the proem to book III might have influenced Milton's great invocation of light at the start of the same book of Paradise Lost, but no light was shed. In general, though, this is a very helpful edition. When reading the Iliad I found that after I had read the first 23 books the 24th was comparatively simple. You may find here that once you have got through the first four books you are quite fluent with the fifth.
on 5 October 2009
I am no scholar but this is a very readable translation - it flows well like any modern literature.
However I have only given the book 3 stars simply because I wanted the original middle english which one of the other reviews suggests that it has alongside the translation - it is obviously referring to another edition, not the one illustrated. I thoroughly recommend this book but beware!