Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 17 November 2011
I have used the first edition of this textbook to write my course on research methods as I find it very student friendly and accessible. I have recently received a copy of the new edition which has been slightly re-arranged to move the legal and social aspects of research to the start of the book. I think this is a better order and then the statistical analysis and report writing chapters follow. The authors have also updated the formulae for the statistical tests to use the more comprehensive (although more complex) formulae for the t-test.

I like it because it is not as dry and theoretical as alternative books on research methods but there are some serious problems with the new edition, which is why I cannot give it five stars. Far too many equations are printed incorrectly. I have compared them in the previous edition and they were right then. So the problems happened at type-setting for the equation boxes. They make it very difficult to use as a student. The chapter on regression is almost unusable. So if you can find it I would recommend getting the first edition and skipping the updated version until they can sort out the errors. (It is currently being re-printed to remove the mistakes)
on 6 September 2015
A decent text book but they could have made it easier to understand in places. Often examples are given in unfamiliar - arguably unnecessarily complex - scenarios. For example, one student I am working with was reading an example problem where the number of seeds in an umbel was counted. What the hell is an umbel?! I get why it was done and it was easy to look up but it's still a pain when you've got students who aren't overly confident with this topic getting more confused because of things like this.
on 10 July 2012
I bought this book as it was recommended by my university. I used it for the statistics for my Bioscience degree and it was very helpful. The details in the book work well with the online resources to make sure all my stats were correct. I got full marks for stats using this book. Defiantly recommend to anyone at undergraduate level or below.
on 12 February 2009
Good book to understand the important relationship between the choice of statistical test and the need to know that before someone begins an experiment (although really good on that), but not really much more than this; not many things on data collection and interpretation.
Good for beginners
on 13 April 2012
I use statistics at university and have found sections of this book brilliant, very helpful with the layout and content needs of report and reviewing. Would definity reccomend!
on 17 October 2013
Excellent condition brand new. I'm really happy with my purchase. As soon as it arrived I was delighted at its condition is was a so new. I'm the first user.
on 28 February 2013
The book was useful in my studies and in explaining and justifying methodological approaches to my work - and in very good condition
on 1 October 2014
Didn't actually use this book for my degree, but a good book
on 23 July 2013
very good product in the right price. In use is even better than I thought. I recommend it to you.