on 14 March 2009
I bought this book for my 10 year old to brush up on proverbs for the 11+. It is frustrating that there isn't a dictionary on proverbs specifically for children.
I went through the book and highlighted the proverbs that I wanted him to read and understand - the most common ones -although there are many obscure ones in the book that I'd never heard of myself. I've also looked through the book a few times myself and found it interesting. Could do with more colour and perhaps clearer explanations, but then it is written with adults in mind, for whom it is very clear. A useful resource for any library.
"If you can't have all the world's wisdom to yourself, then, surely, the next best thing is to revel in that of history's wisest thinkers" - so says your current reviewer.

What places this collection, at distance, from any other book on proverbs, are the rich and varied number of quotations which apply to each proverb. Many of which are most interesting indeed: thus - following "Lucky at cards, unlucky at love" - we find this:

"You had never believed the phrase 'lucky at cards, unlucky in love' until that night when you were the victim of a drive-by shooting from a jealous ex-girlfriend shortly after being dealt a full house."

I've tried repeatedly to think of a single proverb which I've been unable to locate, within this book's pages, yet, alas, I've failed every time. So, I must surely concede that it is a most brilliantly in-depth, and arguably unrivalled collection of proverbs. In other words, no fellow bibliophile should live a long life without at least sharing some of it in the company of this wonderful book. 5/5 for sure.
on 2 February 2009
A very good book which will stop you being caught out when those proverbs come up in general conversation. It is clearly laid out and well worth the money.
on 25 December 2012
This book is good as it has alot of the porverbs but it shows more where they originate from rather than what they mean.
on 7 August 2014
I think it could have given you more of a meaning of these proverbs not just the dates of when they were mentioned in history.
on 28 August 2013
I purchased this for a gift, and they can not put it down. Very informative and a joy to read.
on 14 July 2014
I am very happy with this item. Richard.
on 13 October 2012
Useful & reasonably priced
on 1 July 2015
happy with purchase
on 6 December 2012
This book is exactly what I wanted....a reference for crosswords. Brilliant!! It would also be good for younger people who do not know any Poverbs/