Customer reviews

on 7 November 2014
A difficult poet has been made relevant to a wider readership. By writing in detail about his life and associations the essence of what made him tick becomes clear. As an academic study, having so much of his corresponding with other poets replicated, reveals the depth of the poetic processes from that particular era. An interesting amount of his prose is also included. So the book looks a serious read at first but it becomes an enjoyable and enlightening one at the finish. For those of Anglo catholic beliefs, it is especially rewarding for showing the dedication Gerard gave to his ministry as a priest. This came well before his poetry, which would have been even greater if he had spent as much time on it as he did to his religious life.

PS. Gerards father and my grandfather were partners in business, hence the name of Manley given to my father and passed on to me.
on 13 July 2014
Great book of the major works of a great poet. Love it
on 8 May 2014
I studied Gerard Manley Hopkins at school. However taking every line and word apart did nothing for me. If you read the poems out loud his use of words is wonderful and I believe this is the way to enjoy his writing.
on 19 December 2013
This is the standard review of this poet of 100 years ago, one of the forerunners of the modern style.
on 19 July 2016
Gift
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 November 2017
I find the best of these poems genuinely ravishing. They lift up my heart like no other poet I know.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse