on 20 December 2015
Having viewed the Young Chekov series at Chichester Theatre Festival, I embarked on my "Chekov by total immersion" phase, and this book is an excellent way to catch up on several of his other better known plays. Often productions can look dated and slightly boring, so I believe that reading the plays can really help to give a fuller understanding of his marvellous writing and technique.
on 11 May 2016
I bought this book as part of my Open Uni literature degree. I'd heard of Chekhov but not read or seen any of his work before, Well others may disagree but I read The Cherry Orchard and I thought it was as dull as dishwater and I can't believe I actually had to see it through to the end in order to write my essay on it - which I got an average pass on, lol! Maybe he's one of those writers who it's better to see their work performed live rather than read it, and true enough there are interesting issues with this play relating to how it is performed and the fourth wall etc, also I thought Chekhov's personal history/story was more interesting than this book of plays. Oh well at least it gives boasting rights to be able to say "Yes, I've read Chekhov..." :-)
on 20 May 2015
Excellent. For my daughter's course work
on 10 December 2015
Had to buy for uni
on 21 February 2014
After buying this book and then University changed the reading material so now collecting dust on the shelf. Will get around to reading one day
on 18 July 2014
This classic was rewardingly read by our group. I enjoyed it as much as I have on stage
on 18 March 2016
good
on 17 July 2013
Classical 5 plays, very good to read plays. I would prefer bigger more eye friendly print. Checkov's plays are very good to read.