on 16 February 2013
After years of scratching my head as to what lay before me on my lawn every morning, i have now successfully tracked-down the mystery to a one-legged kangaroo giving piggy-back to a baboon with irritable bowel syndrome...with a parrot on its shoulder. I am most grateful for Preben Bang providing me with this informative piece of literature, also his brother Cillit for my spotless kitchen.
on 1 June 2011
I received this book and immedietly started to read it,straight from the postmans hand.
This book is not like other books i have seen on animal tracks as it tells you so much more, things like, dropping signs, feeding signs and how animals move.
Some of the animals in this book do not relate to this country but please do not let this affect you purchasing this book.
In short; Buy this book because you will NOT regret it!!!
on 7 April 2012
This is a must for all interested in any kind of outdoor pursuits or just interested in animals in general good pictures and excellent illustrations and. A recommendation by ray mearse you know its going to be good
on 14 September 2009
I thought that I had a decent grasp on the science and methods of tracking before I bought this book. However its content has made me aware that what I had before was a mere taste of what there is to be learnt. The book goes into vast detail about not only the shape of the footprint but also the gait of the animal which made it and how to tell what was happening at the time so that, with a fair bit of practice in the field, you really can imagine what the animal was doing as it left the tracks.

That is not to say that the book is only of value to someone who already knows the basics though. I leant the book to a friend who knew literally nothing on the subject and she returned it to me with, irritatingly, almost as much knowledge as me.

The book covers much more than footprints. It contains info on droppings, pellets, burrows, lairs and feeding and display habits. Admittedly there is some information which, for me, seems of little use. But there are undoubtedly enough useful parts to make the book worth buying. And who cares if I don't plan on going into grizzly country, at least if I do ever end up there I'll know how to tell when a bear is in the area.
on 17 June 2009
Minor errors aside, as noted, this is a good book.

if you are after a 'Pocket guide' (although quite a large pocket is required) this book is very good.
The only way to learn tracks ( I speak from a hunters point of view) is to go out and start tracking. This book will help you on your way.

I have edited this post as since attending a couple of tracking courses (up to advanced level) I would say this book is only really a guide for if you can see a clear print and it would not help you follow a trail that isnt 'easy'. Compression shapes are not noted, if you lost the 'clear prints' you would loose the trail!

Still keeps 5 stars though as the information in the book is the best of its kind. ie) pictures of animal footprints, feeding signs etc. If your interest is 'knowing what animal is in your local woods' (for example) this is a valuable guide. If you want to 'Track an animal' then books by Ian Maxwell, Tom Brown Jr and Bob Carss are better for this purpose.
on 28 January 2010
this books lets you use all available information at the site of the tracks to work out who the track belongs too. Even if the track is of poor quality or similar to many others the arrangement, size or setting it is found in can help narrow down the possibilities. Its a guide to being a detective! ruling in or out the possible suspects making you look not just at the tracks but at the bigger picture.
By far the best book I have come accross.
on 15 January 2012
I got this book for myself and my family to have some fun while out walking in the woods, my daughter and youngest son love "finding clues" as they call it, they have embraced tracking or "finding clues", the book is well laid out and contains more than enough detail and information to keep us going and small enough to keep in a pocket when out. Great little book.
on 6 March 2012
I have seen several books on the subject and all of them are pretty good, but in my opinion this is by far and away the best. i would not hesitate to recommend this book or the other two in the same OUP series.
John Ellis, Nottinghamshire County Mammal Recorder
on 3 May 2009
We took this book for its first outing and spotted a fir cone nibbled by a mouse, feathers of a pheasant eaten by what we think was a fox and bark nibbled by deer, and well as badger and muntjack prints (to be fair the last two we were spotting before we got the book). Bang and Dahlstrom's book is aimed at a Scandinavian market, but there is enough here to make any family walk a bit of an adventure. The children really loved it.
on 29 May 2009
this book will find its self in my pack when out on the trail either here or abroad. a good book not just dealing with tracks but also items that have been nibbled as identification and also the animals droppings.

for any budding bushcrafter or hiker this is i would say an essential guide to have, for often all we see of an animal is what they have left behind.......................