on 1 September 2017
This commentary is the best I have come across of the one-volume commentaries. It's layout and its approach to each book of the Bible is so very clear and its review of previous commentators is comprehensive, I recently came across it in the library of Tymawr Convent (in Wales) and decided there and then that I must have my own copy. I find it invaluable as background reading for the preparation of sermons and for Bible study. It is what I would call "healthily scheptical" in its approach or, if you prefer, "wide ranging", which is, of course, what you would expect from such editors as John Barton and John Muddiman.
review image
on 30 December 2011
This book is an excellent commentary and companion to the bible.
It is cut from a very broad cloth, and is more open ended than one might have
expected. It admits some areas of uncertainty and accepts some alternative views.
It is of extreme value in offering interpretation in areas where the meaning is uncertain
or in explaining confusing language.
It is strongly recommended to anyone wishing to study the Bible for whatever reason
3 people found this helpful
on 7 June 2013
This was brought for the bible study group. It is very informative and well written and gives all the historical context behind the biblical passages. My only criticism would be that the print is quite small, but otherwise it is a good reference book which would be suitable for a wide readership,.
on 3 January 2018
Excellent book. It's a shame it isn't available in a hardback cover.
One person found this helpful
on 1 August 2017
Excellent content but printing very small
on 23 January 2018
Good booking for studying multiple topics
on 13 March 2013
It's not cheap but when it arrives you'll see why, great quality reference book that I'm finding extremely valuable for the Theology course I'm on. I will treasure this book for many years to come. Delivery quick, all in all high star rating from me.
on 1 April 2013
I required a bible commentary to help me prepare a sermon and this ticked all the boxes. It gives an overview of each book of the bible which is broken down into different elements. Then each section of the book is broken down and explored further.

Good resource for those wanting to know more about the bible and exploring it with an enquiring mind.
on 6 February 2016
This book has been very useful in my studies.
on 4 April 2013
The coverage of this single volume work is such that I was able to give away several of my old (1950s and 1960s) commentaries. I think that says it really. Of course, scholarship moves on apace and this book is no longer new. I wait to see if updates or revisions are planned.