on 19 October 2007
I'm now in my second year of an undergraduate course and my lecturers had recommended two main books - this one and another EU Law textbook by Jo.Steiner. I first bought the EU book by Jo.Steiner but realised that it had no caselaw (or insufficient at least) and decided to get this book by Burca. I have to say that you can rely on this book alone for the full course, it is very informative and has some interesting small debates on contentious issues. Quite rightly, it can be described as the 'Bible' of EU Law. Despite it being very thick with lots of information, it is very easy to read and comprehend.

In summary, get this book before any others! You would not need to buy any others, but remember always use other books as well for essays!
on 18 December 2010
I' ve been using de Burca for the past 3 years: as a second year and third year law student, and now during my master degree. My opinion on this book was constantly changing, from 'Argh, I hate it', via 'Oh, I love it', to 'Well, it's ok, but not really up to date'.
From my expierience quite a lot of students studying EU law for the first time find this book daunting, over-detailed and too complex, but once you understand it it's easy to get 2.1 or 1 from the subject. Also, if one's going to take a module in 'Advanced EU law' (or something similar), she'll appreciate the content of de Burca's textbook.

The book is very rich and detailed, it covers all basics of EU law. There could be more about Internal Market and Competition Law, but obviously it would be impossible to include everything in one textbook and you can find more specific works on those subjects.

The main problem is that the 'EU law' was published in 2007 and since then there were some important cases (like Kadi and Kadi II) and changes (Lisbon Treaty). I'm waiting for another edition, I'll definitely want to see it on my book shelf.

Finally I want to add, that I've been trying to use other textbook, but I'm still going back Grainne de Burca's 'EU Law'.
on 18 September 2007
As a law student I've had to shell out loads of money for books that stay on the shelf and barely get opened... after five years of law school I can say without a shadow of a doubt Craig and De Burca was the book I got the most value for money out of. Absolutely, 100% recommended for any law student who will be taking a number of EU courses, or EU Law related degree. If only all other law books were as easy to read as this one!
on 31 May 2009
This really helped me in all of my EU law courses at uni, it lays out the case law in order and explains the developments. Worth buying.
on 6 March 2014
awful- explains the facts of each case in a needlessly complicated way instead of just saying what happened! found myself going to wikipedia to have some sort of straight forward answer.

Lots of detail, but severely compromised by the time it takes to get through all the useless detail.
on 3 July 2009
excellent , extremely detailed and lovely book. wicked for exams and succinct explainations.

Get at me if u want a copy, i have one i am not using i will sell it through amazon if offered a decent price.

Merci
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2015
Satisfied with the fast delivery and product.
on 6 August 2015
Good product, good service
on 2 February 2016
great perfect
on 30 May 2009
This book is an useful introductory text to get your head around the basics - but move onto Chalmers et al the minute you understand these basics, as the analysis in the Chalmers textbook is on an entirely different level of sophistication.