on 11 May 2012
Usually a standard text for BSc Chemistry (or similar). I bought it when I started my course and has been invaluable should a lecturer's version be unclear (or if you miss a bit).

I found it useful to revise for my Year 1 exams (I got a first for this topic) once I'd covered all the lecture notes and knew what information I'd need from the textbook. Has good exercises with answers to help you prepare.
on 30 July 2007
Im not sure what changes are made to this book from the previous edition but the last edition was just okay for an undergraduate textbook. The Shriver and Atkins series are excellent at most fields of chemistry but falls down somewhat at Inorganic chemistry with this book in particular.

The book is very good for concepts but does not describe things as well as the Housecroft Inorganic Book does. This would be more of a reference book than a good all round book to learn from.
on 12 December 2010
I've had this book for the past year and a bit (now in 2nd year studying chemistry at uni). This year has been the one where I feel it would have been most relevant, however detail in many key areas and topics is lacking and the book is only really good for brief reference.

The layout is pretty confusing, with no reminder of diagrams which are mentioned several pages before, meaning you have to constantly flick between pages. Some topics are mixed up with others, making the text difficult to follow.(For example, the trans effect is talked about yet in its section, the similarly titled trans influence is discussed before going back to the trans effect! Having referred to the book for clarification on the differences, this just left me confused and referring to an older but more useful book on the subject.)

An effort has been made to cover all areas but they just aren't detailed enough (X ray crystallography is one such example, with Atkins Physical chemistry having much better coverage on a topic which I would have thought would fit directly into a book titled "Inorganic Chemistry".

The book does look nice with regards to colours used however this cannot make up for a lack of real content. I now use the book as a general index (when I can find the topic/if it has been included!!) and then go and find a better book in the library on the subject.

I also own Organic Chemistry by Clayden et. al , a superb example of how a general textbook can be written (although about 3x as long admittedly, I'm sure inorganic chem could have used a slimmed down approach due to the number of pages mechanisms take up in organic chem). It has a much friendlier almost welcoming tone throughout, good examples and step by step approaches. It is a shame that Inorganic Chemistry did not follow this path!
on 14 October 2009
Generally the book is good, with various theories presented simultaneously to give a good overview of the basics of inorganic chemistry. There are some mistakes though, and at places it seems shallow, i.e. not all principles are explained. In some cases the authors reserve themselves with giving some examples and not bothering to explain them, or at least show how they were derived. Yet, this results in a pretty thin and light book for such a general subject, which is always welcome.
Visually the book is pleasant to read. One very helpful feature is the presentation of the main idea before each subtopic.
A bottom-up approach of teaching principles of chemistry is used in the book, which is, in my opinion, very suitable for the subject. Still, some previous knowledge of physics and chemistry is advisable as the book is moderately advanced.
on 13 May 2008
I bought this book in 3rd year of my undergraduate and found limited use from it for both my 3rd and 4th years. However, I have found it more useful since starting postgraduate as I feel it provides a good introduction (provided you know your undergraduate work fairly well) to important research topics topics eg. heterogeneous/homogeneous catalysis.

Overall I think it is a good book but was not the most use to me during my undergraduate.
on 9 May 2010
As a chemistry undergraduate, I bought the two (physical and inorganic) Atkins books. The physical one is pretty good, but this one is next to useless. The book is badly ordered, has gaping holes where whole topics are omitted and generally doesn't explain anything very well. Wikipedia is better.
on 10 May 2012
This book isn't helpful at all. It surely covers a wide range of topics but none of them thouroughly. After reading most of the book the information you end up with is close to zero. Clearly not suitable for any inorganic chemistry course.
on 22 March 2016
the book is good
on 1 October 2009
I received the book fairly quickly, and that amazed me. But, the book was NOT in an excellent condition, it has some defects, so I felt bad regarding that.