on 1 June 2017
This has helped out a lot this year. This has detailed boxes of case judgements, treaty articles and academic work. In particular, the latter can be prove effective when finding extra reading for exam answers.
on 17 December 2003
This book is the most comprehensive and up-to-date authoritative piece that somebody can find in the market.
The text is very well-structured, following a perfectly logical order, being supported by many authorities, which are commented and explained both on a national and a European dimension. No casebook or supplementary textbook is needed.
The language is very clear - being a foreign student in an English university I had no difficulty in reading and understanding it.
It cannot be compared to any other textbooks in this field! - Simply perfect!
on 30 September 2016
I'm sure it's a good book, but each time I pick it up it induces narcolepsy. It's written in English... I recognise the individual words. However, they're put together in such a way that I'm really struggling to make head nor tail of what is actually being said. I thought it was me at first, but when I spoke to a fellow student about my difficulties he said he was struggling too. To be fair, this text will probably make more sense when i become more familiar with the subject.
on 10 May 2017
I have no doubt that this is an incredibly impressive and detailed book, containing everything you could need to know to pass your EU module- but it's absolutely not for me. There is a lot of complicated content in this book, which wouldn't deter me from trying it (I mean I have other bigger, heavier, smaller print books for other modules that I get on fine with) but something about the writing style of this books makes it impossible for me to absorb any knowledge from it. I find myself continually having to read and reread words, sentences, paragraphs over and over again just to find I haven't understood or retained any of the information and have to start the paragraph over again. I spoke with one of my lecturers about this and he said that they recommend this book because it's readily available containing the entire content of our course, but it's absolutely common for a large number of students to not get along with it and seek a different text book. If you're purchasing this book, I recommend going to your law library and looking through a few chapters first to see if you like it. The odd chapter I haven't found absolutely impossible but the majority of this book is a write off for me, so make sure a test a few different chapters before making your decision.
on 13 July 2016
One of my favourite law books so far. I really enjoyed picking up this book. Not only was it current and up to date when I brought it but it contained so much information that I was intrigued by. Good for anyone just starting to get into law or have an interest in law. It's a very big book and well worth the money.
on 3 October 2001
This book is absolute quality... providing all the information you could ever need on the topics, excellent case reviews and to top it all, it's easy to read. Perhaps in need of an update to cover the most recent law, this still remains a firm favourite
on 20 September 2005
This book is excellent. It is informative, easily set out and is an incredibly helpful research tool when trying to get a grounding for the subject or when writing a piece of coursework. This is responsible for getting me through my EU Law module. There are many EU Law books on the market however, this book is in a catagory all of it's own. It states the essential cases and goes that little bit further than books of the same genre by drawing upon all sorts of legal sources. Buy it now. You will NOT regret it!
on 14 January 2004
Don't be daunted by the size of this book, it is huge but covers numerous topics and modules.
The book is a great blend of case law, text and Articles from other writers who give great detail to the piece they are writing about. The detail is there to enable a student to get a high mark, if you're looking to just get through a module, then perhaps nutshells would be a better alternative.
Although detailed, it held my attention and made a very hard area of the law degree a good bit clearer.
I used this book as the basis for introduction to european law, competition law, EU commercial Law, EU social Law and then supplemented those with extra readings and didn't do too badly.
No other Law book will prove as useful for the course as a whole.
on 24 February 2016
While I usually go for the Text Cases and Materials textbooks for my law modules, I found the other 'Chalmers' textbook covers some content more in line with my degree programme. However, I've found this one very useful particularly on free movement of goods as it includes a fair portion of case law saving you the time of accessing the full text of the cases.

Some content is very dense and covers a lot of case law in brief, as examples, and this has not really proved relevant for me, but it took some time to actually digest, so I'd recommend using it only for cases and topics touched upon in your lectures.
on 22 March 2002
Not only is this book an authoritative and comprehensive coverage of virtually all areas of EU Law, but it is very well-written and comprehensible, too. I worked with this book when I was in England (taking part in an exchange program), and despite not being a native speaker I had no problems at all reading this book. Of course, it is not "easy" to read. It is as easy or difficult as any legal text. If even a native speaker says that it is full of incomprehensible words and impossible to read, maybe law is not the right subject for him or her.