Customer reviews

on 5 January 2014
I like this book. I use the quotes to introduce Dinner Toasts, Speeches in any Public Forum and when I write letters of criticism. I mean we all know the greats and the best wits (Wilde springs to mind for example), but I also like to use it to refer to quotes I always knew were on the tip of my tongue but in the process I come across more quotes and more and more for example I like the quote about the Court I have just read:

"Say to the court it glows
And shines like rotten wood;
Say to the church, it shows
What's good, and doth no good:
If church and court reply,
For thou must give the lie. "

Walter Ralegh (The Lie; 1608).

This is very very useful if you are in the nature of speaking in public either occasionally or more frequently. You won't be disappointed with its treasury of quotes and if you try using some of the more pertinent to the subject you are speaking or writing about it will grab the attention of the recipient and make them think (hence the utility).

It make a good present in any event.
on 3 April 2013
I am really into this type of book and I cannot fault it. Very happy to add this to my small collection.Buy it.
on 12 September 2017
This was for our library of books. Pleased with our purchase !
on 13 May 2017
Very useful research resource
on 11 May 2017
Superb reference book for any writer, essayist or journalist
on 9 January 2013
The definitive work, you won't need more than this. Easy to find what you are looking for, which is not the case in other similar dictionaries.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 18 February 2012
This seventh edition of the 'Oxford Dictionary Of Quotations' is a true collection of the 'who said that?'. Much more,it is readable in itself. The 'quotations' are extracted from poignant and often historically vital verses. Where else would we find Confucious, Plato, Lenin and Lennon, with Maurice Chevalier? The latter's answer to "How does it feel to be seventy two?", replied "Considering the alternative it's not too bad at all". There are numerous pearls of wisdom in this book. This is not in the least a feast for intellectuals. It is a companion to be a true reference and friend. There are many sections of authors, biblical characters, and more update personel. I do not subscribe to the criticism that the content is not modern. Wise words remain so whenever uttered or written. What is left to be said?
on 2 June 2011
I compare the two a little further in a review of the Chambers Dictionary of Quotations. The Chambers version has been much more satisfying than the last edition of the Oxford. This new edition still seems short of the coverage of the Chambers, and retains a slightly less browser-friendly format.
on 12 January 2010
I bought one and was so delighted with it that I bought 3 more for Christmas presents - which were very well received. It is so easy to use and full of wisdom.
on 10 October 2013
Which she loved and is constantly praising this version whenever we meet - to the put that I may have to get a copy for myself!