Customer reviews

on 6 May 2001
This book is an excellent starter for anyone who wants to know more about the current knowledge and treatment of alcoholism, especially if,like me, you are not sure if that is the problem with your relative or friend. I found the text clear and easy to understand, the chapter headings concise, and the information in the chapters allowed me to make up my own mind about what I needed to do, and gave me choices that I had never considered before.
on 5 March 2006
Let me be clear, I used this book in my ongoing recovery from Alcoholism, I found it to be a great aid in furthering my knowledge base, it does NOT deal with the morass of issues that other books have done it sticks to a factual based path, it’s an extremely accurate book, I found it a page turner, a book that does not feel it needs to quote the “AA Big Book” every other chapter nor does it feel the need to resort to “spirituality” to explain any of it’s facts, if you are like me a recovering Alcoholic and you don’t feel the need to devote your entire existence to the AA (good work though they do) then I strongly suggest you obtain a copy of this book ASAP.
22 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 August 2005
An excellent introductory text for anyone interested in alcoholism. However, a lack of clear refences and no bibliography is a limitation for students wishing to gain more detailed information.
on 21 February 2011
An interesting read for anyone interested in learning a little more about the drug so many of us knock back on a daily basis . No scare tactics or preaching just honest information about what we actually know and don't know about the health and social effects of alcohol. If your looking for a good read that doesn't dwell on recovery for it's sole content , although I found it very useful for this, then this is a good purchase.
on 22 June 2015
Good overview of the effects of alcoholism. I would like to have seen more on the effects of alcoholism on the family. Many of us who grew up with an alcoholic parent were badly affected and confused in many ways and need some guidance in coming to terms with their experience.
on 9 September 2010
This is a good general guide to all aspects of alcoholism and its treatment, avoiding jargon, and yet being authoratively based. Good value.
on 14 May 2014
Easy read. Very intesting points about the alcohol consumption. Large content about all aspects of alcoolism and alcohol consumption. Yea!
on 18 October 2014
Not the book per se you understand
on 22 May 2016