Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 March 2008
This is not just a very good small dictionary, it is designed most effectively with learners in mind. It sets words in context, it offers very helpful notes on usage and grammar in the dictionary text (better than the usual forbidding grammatical appendices) it distinguishes between north and south Wales usage, and it is very helpful with the dreaded mutations. It also has a beautifully clear type-face and layout. It doesn't have a huge total number of words, but it always seems to have the words I'm groping for. Welsh is a hard enough language to learn, and most of the small dictionaries I've seen don't make it much easier. This one came as a breath of fresh air, and is very reasonably priced. A quality product. If you are learning Welsh, I can't recommend it highly enough. Diolch yn fawr, Mr King!
on 19 October 2008
If you're looking to learn Welsh, or are a speaker but need a modern dictionary, then this is one to reach for. Modern terms (computer, internet), as well as a handy National Assembly terms section, make this one to sit on the desk of AMs as well as schoolkids. And since it's by Gareth King you know you're getting quality, and something for everyday use.

(If you want to learn Welsh, you should check out his Colloquial Welsh book/cd. Recently updated and republished, and worth every penny)
on 4 March 2014
As a Welsh learner, this is the fifth dictionary that I have bought (the second via Amazon) in about three years and by far the best. None of the others give the useful examples of how the word is used in a sentence, or the little explanations that prevent a word being used in the wrong context. It is also thorough, whereas some dictionaries leave out a lot of words (and include ones that I can't think will ever be needed!) but not long winded. It is not pocket size, but despite its thoroughness, it is not particularly bulky either, so just a good size.
on 1 August 2012
This is one of the very few dictionaries worth having as a Welsh learner and worth every penny. As well as listing plurals (try looking up "ceir" - plural of "car" - in the Geiriadur Mawr) this resource contains detailed explanations of many grammatical points which learners find difficult - two pages on "yes" and "no" for example. I no longer consider myself a learner, but it remains a constant companion. Buy it!
on 31 May 2009
This is a dictionary and grammar book combined, such that
the use of every word is carefully explained and links provided to other sections of the dictionary. This means that the absolute number of words listed is smaller than that of more conventional dictionaries, but most very common words are there, and all those that are irregular or not obvious in their usage. Thus it is a good idea to supplement it with a more traditional dictionary of the "list of words" variety, such as the "Geiriadur Mawr", or the Collins Pocket Dictionary.So, highly recommended!
on 12 February 2013
Bought this to go along with my welsh course. Used it everyday during the course, now regularly still use it. It has very useful sections on mutations, language patterns etc. so very helpful for learners.
on 26 March 2011
This is the dictionary for you if you are embarking on the journey of learning the language. The explanations and examples of the use of the words is very helpful as is the the fact that each word has its gender and plural forms listed. The verb stems are also very useful. The North / South differences which are also often highlighted are well worthwhile too. The key symbols for when mutations are applied also are a real help.
The layout is really very good - the inclusion of the dark "tabs" that are on the edge of the outer pages for each letter of the alphabet also makes reference to the sections very quick and easy. I am really so pleased with this book that I have ordered another so that I can leave one at work so that when I get the opportunity I can have a dip into it during lunch breaks. The cost is AMAZINGLY low for such a great little book. Excellent is the word I would use for it, or perhaps I should say Ardderchog. Well done Mr King.
on 29 December 2009
Fine little dictionary. does all that you could ask of a book this size. I noticed one criticism that it doesn't have a pronunciation guide and that's true. It doesn't. It is, however, a Welsh dictionary and as a phoenetic language, a pronunciation guide would be like putting wheels on ice-skates.
It's proving a great help to me in translating a 1920s Chapel History from Cefn Cribwr.
on 26 November 2010
This book is pretty good for someone learning at an intermediate level of the Welsh language, I wouldn't recommend anyone to try and learn with this book as a beginner though. You'd need to have a half decent grasp on the language to totally get it. Luckily for me I already knew a fair bit of the language before my purchase but as I read the first few pages (it explains about the grammar, mutations and so on) I couldn't help but think how much harder I would find it if I was someone who had just purchased it in hopes of learning a new language. I feel it might scare a beginner and to really learn Welsh you'd need to hear it in real conversations rather than read it from a book.
on 6 December 2012
I received this edition (ISBN 978-0-19-922874-4) of Gareth King's "Modern Welsh Dictionary" as a replacement for the earlier edition (ISBN 0-19-864531-7) of a slightly different title "Pocket Modern Welsh dictionary", and am delighted with it.

Slightly thinner and lighter than the previous edition, it is actually more "pocket-sized" despite losing that part of its name, however I have been unable to find any difference in content. One nice addition is the shaded letters on the edge of each page that are helpful in finding a word quickly by going rapidly to the section of words beginning with that letter.

I only gave the previous edition 3 stars as the pages started to fall out within a couple of hours of starting to use it, however this version seems more sturdily constructed so I've given it the full 5 stars.

Although I've not been able to find some words in it when trying to translate a Welsh text to English (if there were more words, it would obviously be a bigger book!), there are excellent examples of usage for most of the words which is a great help for me as a beginner. There is a brief grammar guide and mutations are indicated where appropriate - again, a huge help for a beginner - as are gender and plural forms.

I've supplemented it with Collins Spurrell Welsh Dictionary (ISBN 0-00-719658-X) which is much more of a pocket dictionary and has over twice as many words in it, but only the bare translations so there's still uncertainty of translation. For example the English word "bow" is translated as "bwa" or "dolen", but are these a prettily-tied ribbon, the front of a boat, or the thing that fires arrows?

As a new learner, I'm finding the two work well together, but if I had to manage with only one, it would be Gareth King's book.