on 24 April 2016
A classic of course. From an academic perspective, it is interesting to read this and look at the flaws caused by the limited knowledge at the time of writing. Without knowledge of DNA or genetics in general, there is a lot of guesswork here. But still this is a great book, and a great starting point for someone wanting to learn more about the world of evolution.
on 6 November 2016
Always wanted to read this but it's not exactly a page turner....I'm forcing myself!
on 23 November 2016
a classic read and one I can't believe I've not got in my library!
on 20 March 2017
If anyone wants to understand the principles behind evolution on earth written in a very subjective manor then this book is a must
on 7 July 2015
Charles Darwin and Abraham Lincoln were born on the same day. In the words of Christopher Hitchens, "there's no doubt who the greater emancipator was". Darwin, a modest and avuncular man himself, changed our understanding of life forever. This is the one of the single most important books ever published - arguably the most important. I *had* to have a physical copy for my personal library. Regardless of one's personal and private beliefs, the fact (and beauty) of evolution illuminates the greatest mystery mankind ever asked: "how did we get here?"
on 21 February 2013
Charles Darwin is a genius. well, he was a genius. this book is a book i had been after for a long time. it is all about how we on this earth evolved. if you are in the least bit interested about where we came from, then this is the book for you. it really goes against the belief of our being here because of one entity. careful not to offend. Darwin caused great offence with his writings but they are true and we now know so many things because of him. great read don't miss it.
on 28 April 2014
Darwin delayed publishing this book for years because, arguably, religious fanaticism was even more prevalent then than it is now. Eventually, with other scientists moving towards the same conclusions as his own, he released it (and predictably it met with great criticism from the establishment).
Still in this more secular age many parents would prefer that Creationism was taught in schools rather than Evolution (and presumably Alchemy instead of Chemistry and Astrology instead of Astronomy).
on 24 September 2015
I've wanted to read this book for many years. Now I have it on kindle. It is far better than I ever thought it would be considering it was written over 150 years ago. Without knowledge of DNA and genes his insights were truly remarkable.
on 16 June 2016
For many years I wanted to learn and read more progressively about our origins but from the Darwinian perspective. I was quite knowledgeable on the theories but I always wanted to understand the proofs to these theories. Reading this book is a must for us all especially in our latter years when we all are looking for the proofs and details in lots of our thoughts and understanding of life.
on 10 July 2017
This is a good quality paperback copy of this long-standing excellent book. As a paperback it is relatively flimsy, but this copy came in perfect condition.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse