on 3 June 2013
First of all I was not sure if the dictionary would run with Windows 7. Windows 7 was not included with the operating systems quoted on the back of the cd cover but it works fine.

Installation was a pleasant surprise. I have the full OED on cd and installing that can take quite a while. This was lightning fast. My operating system suggested that installation was faulty but on trying it out it worked fine.

I like the set up. It's easy to navigate around, very smooth. The entries, quotations etc. are clear.

As for the dictionary itself I have yet to make up my mind as I will need to work with it a little bit. In my opinion the OED is the best English dictionary for fulfilling the most important function of a dictionary - imparting an understanding of a word. This version of the Shorter Oxford Dictionary is less forbidding than the older versions which is all to the good. I expect and hope that this latest edition has not lost the clarity of explanation which is a hallmark of most Oxford dictionaries.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 June 2013
You can't really get a better dictionary than this. Excellent quality, and with first-class presentation of information it really is a useful item for home or office. Although, at two large, weighty volumes, it's strictly for "keeping on the shelf" - you can't carry it around with you!
on 12 April 2015
If you are a professional writer then this is a must for you. Easy to use and complete, this dictionary also settles any arguments you might have with friends over the meaning of words, or their very existence!
on 10 September 2015
The Shorter OED is an excellent dictionary.

I was contemplating on purchasing the full OED (24 volumes) but decided against it and I'm glad I did.

After looking at the full 24 volume version I found it was far too much (overkill) so went with the shorter version which is 2 volumes.

More than enough detail and a pleasure to use!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 December 2014
I am really enjoying this, especially some of the defs which come with examples. PS I have OED tied to Kindle as well. Great
on 7 February 2018
Undoubtedly the very best.
on 7 December 2014
I have a version in full book form of course this is far more convenient having it on my laptop.
on 9 October 2015
Beautiful.
on 18 December 2013
This pair of volumes were bought as a present and get used all the time by the owner, solving many a dispute in Scrabble etc.
on 17 November 2015
Bought as a gift, he loved it.