on 24 February 2011
It is a very well made book and it has been updated nicely. What it lacks maybe is a consideration to Latin American countries Spanish Speaking. I who live in Peru am not interested in the Geography and monuments of Spain, at least I am also interested in my part of the world. I think that because it is a teaching course one does not need the real places like the Sagrada Familia church and its designers to teach me how to say church. When I sit for an exam I do not think it is fair that I should remember the capital of Spain and where Seville is if in the East or North of Spain! I want to learn Spanish and not Geography and for this I cut a star off.
on 7 October 2010
I was recommended this by my Spanish teacher, and I thought it came with a CD so you could check your pronunciation. However, it doesn't and as such I cannot see how it can call itself a Spanish Course. Previous reviews mentioned a CD so I assumed, partly because of the price which is quite high for a mere, thin book, that the CD was included. No - it turns out you have to pay another nearly £30 for that to come with an audio book. All very confusing and misleading and I have sent it back. On the other hand, I also bought the Teach Yourself Spanish which does come with two CDs and seems far better.
on 26 March 2011
This language course offers an excellent grammar section at the end of it. Unfortunately this is where it all ends. Topics are introduced with a reading followed by some excercises. There are no explanations and no presentation of new vocabulary. In fact vocabulary on particular topics (say, the family) is often spread over several units. So the word for 'mother' could be in unit 7 and 'cousin' may be in unit 9. All in all, the whole book feel a bit disjointed. I would recommend prospective buyers to get a proper stand-alone language course and not this one.
on 18 January 2013
Essential to have the activity book with this. Good for those with a little basic knowledge of Spanish. Content good but found the need tl switch from one book to the other for grammar points, vocabulary etc a little irritating. On the whole enjoy using it.
on 5 August 2010
I used this book for my first year course in spanish. I would definitely not recommend this book for people trying to learn spanish on their own. This book works better in a classroom but it's really not that great.
on 12 May 2013
Great for anyone who is starting out with little knowledge of Spanish. For use with the part 1 activity book. Highly r ecommended
on 9 July 2013
this book coupled with the activity book are essential for our next stage of learning and are highly reccomended by our teacher
on 30 May 2016
The book that goes hand in hand with the "Ja" activity book and a great learning aid.
on 19 October 2014
Brilliant - getting on well with my course
on 6 November 2016