on 30 January 2010
Just about the right size, this book, for the smaller hands of children aged seven and upwards. Indeed, this is a book for children that will help them grow up - and feel grown up, too!

Divided into ten main sections:

* Planet Earth
* Climate, Weather and the Environment
* Human Bodies
* Plants and Animals
* Space
* Physics and how our world works
* Chemicals and how they behave
* Materials and Structures
* Technology and Machines
* Industry and Transport

the book is fully illustrated in colour, with photographs and diagrams, and covers just about everything that first comes to mind.

As a child, I was rubbish at science at school, and not much interested either, if I am honest. But how I now wish I understood the basics and knew a lot more! How I wish I had had this book. It is useful for adults, too, as it shows the basics in an easily understood form and assumes little prior knowledge.

I have learned much by just browsing a few of the 154 topics covered. Earthquakes, tides, clouds, eyes, cancers, insects, polar life, satellites, conductors and insulators, sound and music, detergents, fire, plastics, fibres and textiles, radio, virtual reality, farming, mining, ships and submarines are just some of the subjects covered, mostly one per page.

This book also shows that science can be fun and that science - and the world around us - is really too interesting to just walk on by without asking questions!

Indeed, this book is ideal for preparation on science subjects for your appearance in the local pub quiz, Mastermind, The Weakest Link or Who Wants to be a Millionaire? When you "phone a friend", make sure they have a copy by the telephone!

Give the children in your life a better education: buy this book; it will certainly help most adults learn along with the children they love.
on 24 December 2011
As a primary school teacher, I would recommend this book for children in Key stage 2, Year 3 and above. It explains the basics of all strands of science clearly and in a visually interesting manner with lots of pictures and diagrams. At the same time, it won't overload kids, but give them just enough on each aspect.

It's also a great little read for adults who want to swat up on the basics without wading through more hefty stuff.

Highly recommended.
on 16 September 2012
Well it's a long time since I left school and I have to admit I've forgotten a lot of the things I learnt about science. Now I have a young son I want to be able to accurately answer his questions about thunder, volcanoes, light etc and this book is the perfect tool for that.

As he gets older he will be able to read it too so I know it will get a lot of use. Absolutely fantastic book and I would recommend it to anyone.
on 17 April 2012
Nice book, not too much information in one go for a little mind to cope with.

The seven year old it was bought for, really liked it.
on 6 December 2014
Always enjoy ordering from Amazon, fast and efficient but the problem is the courier man, he just shoved the book until it bends down in our letter box and was really hard to remove it as it does not really fit, only if he just knock or use the buzzer then there's no problem.
on 28 January 2014
this was a gift for my friend's children. Perfect for them. I flicked through and it really did seem like it had covered everything. I wish I had one when I was little. I may have learnt something!
on 6 August 2014
I sent this book off to my 7yr old grandson. He has been given special praise for his efforts in Maths and Science. He is on the "gifted and talented " stream at school.
I thought this book would inspire him. His Dad was really impressed with my purchase
on 29 June 2014
This has a little of everything but not too much that it turns them off reading it.
Perfect for my 7 year old who never stops asking questions.
Delighted with it.
on 23 May 2014
Item arrived promptly and in good condition. Bought for a 6 year old. Very informative but simple enough for kids to understand.
on 30 May 2014
This book was for my daughter for christmas and she loves it there is a lot of information and it is in great condition.