Customer reviews

on 27 September 2013
Firstly, it is well written, a quality without which it would have been unworthy of its subject.
Secondly, it is incredibly well-researched. At 70 years of age, I would not have expected to learn so much about the city of Belfast where I have lived most of my life. I even learned more about my alma mater, Queen's University Belfast, where I was a student just a few years after Stewart, Seamus Heaney, et al.
Thirdly -- and here I acknowledge a special interest -- the reporting of how Stewart's masterpiece, Northern Star, came about was revelatory -- even though i was effective in ensuring its commissioning by Belfast's Lyric Theatre.
Having discussed its general perspective at a very sensitive tiime in Northern Ireland, I was well satisfied that anything Stewart produced on the topic would be well-founded historically and free from any kind of propagandising.
What astounded me when the play opened was its dramatic, linguistic and prophetic power. It established Stewart as a literary genius fit to be mentioned in the same breath as his comtemporaries -- Seamus Heaney, Brian Friel, Michael Longley, Derek Mahon, et al.
Marilynn Richtarik's biography cannot be surpassed. She has got to the contemporary sources and recorded them with a judicious and scholarly eye. We are forever in her debt. Ciaran McKeown
on 14 February 2014
Very thoroughly researched biography of this sparky playwright. Probably not a book for those not familiar with his plays or with the arts in Ireland in his era, and as a biography of a playwright begs a lot of questions about the wider culture and the perspectives it could afford. Well written, and plenty to be discerned between the lines.
on 19 May 2016