Format: Hardcover|Change

on 22 February 2005
I had this book as a child and adored it. Instead of the same old rhymes trotted out, this contains just about every verse any child could want or need - and without any PC rewrites. Don't worry about the old fashioned pictures - the poems are enough to stimulate any child's imagination (well they did mine and my two children's) and you'll have loads of fun singing and reciting these, not to mention that once they can read for themselves, this will keep them entertained for hours.
Anyone that thinks nursery rhyme books are just for sitting quietly and looking at pretty pictures misses the point. They are for enjoying aloud, getting up and singing, dancing to silly tunes and making up actions for the words and if it wasn't for this book, many of the traditional ones would be in danger of being forgotten altogether.
on 28 January 2003
When I was little, I owned a beautiful Nursery Rhyme book with fabulous pictures and all the old traditional rhymes. I was trying to recreate that for my daughter. However, this book, complete though it is with every nursery rhyme you can think of, is not for young chldren. The text is very small and all the illustrations are small black and white ink drawings, which I admit if I reread the book's description I should have perhaps realised.
A great book if you want a reference guide, but not for sitting down and reading to your children at night.
33 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 November 2013
I disagree with some other reviewers that this is not for a child. I loved this book as child (so did my siblings) with its little woodcuts and so many lovely and more unusual rhymes. If you enjoy words and rhymes for their own sake you and your children will love it. This book is about word and sound, so if you want huge glossy pictures it's not for you! I do have to add that I was disappointed with the quality of the printing though, not up to the original of which we still have a family copy.
on 1 July 2014
I already had a very old and battered copy of The Oxford Nursery Rhyme Book from when my daughters were very young and wanted to get a newer one in better condition for my new granddaughter. I was very disappointed when it arrived as it turned out to be a dictionary version presumably aimed at adults and historians with lots of text about the origins of the rhymes and much fewer illustrations.
Not in the least child-friendly unlike my original version which has page after page of uninterrupted rhymes along with beautiful illustrations. There was no address in the parcel for me to send it back to so I'm stuck with it - unless there's a historian out there who wants to take it off my hands ?!
on 12 June 2014
The book arrived within schedule but later than I had hoped for. It was also not exactly as I was expecting but perfectly acceptable. The company contacted me immediately and offered a full refund on all of my expenses, even though I had not asked for, or expected any such compensation. They were extremely polite and very concerned that I should be nothing less than totally happy with my purchase. Consequently I would not hesitate to do business with them in future.
on 13 August 2016
Does your child know The House that Jack Built? All the old lore is here, including much that's in danger of being quietly forgotten - who now numbers their cherry stones Tinker, tailor &c? - and some, like Who Killed Cock Robin or Moses Supposes, that's patently (to this reader, at least) the work of a single author, identity lost in the mists of time, all wonderfully illustrated with contemporary woodcut cameos. An inspiring collection. My 1973 reprint of the 1955 original (price a very reasonable £2.50 from Heffers) still has the original dust jacket. Colour? Who needs it?
on 1 October 2016
A good book in terms of the rhymes included but the quality of manufacture of this book was disappointing: The printing looks like laser printing and the binding, despite it being hardback, is not traditional folded and stitched paper but akin to the binding method used in paperback - the pages are merely glued to the spine! It is only a matter of time before the pages start coming apart with use. The reason for the two star marking is - what good is having a book if it will not last long?
on 10 September 2016
I remember this book from my childhood. The drawings are inventive and stir the imagination - they left a huge impression on me (wonderful yet quite terrifying). Over the years, the book was lost, but for some reason memories of the odd drawings and rhymes recently came back to haunt me, and I had to find a copy. The drawings and verses are exactly as I'd remembered. Still as curious and strangely delicous as they always were.
What a wonderful book. It gives historical basis for many rhymes and is of interest to all ages.
Written to appeal to all!
on 24 January 2014
What a super way to be reminded about the verses forgotten from childhood and to discover so many new ones