Customer reviews

on 29 August 2017
Just arrived today and I've had a little look inside. I got this 2nd hand for pennies. First impression is there's a lot packed in. There's a lot of sample sentences and expressions, which is very useful. Someone complained that the entries look handwritten. I'm not surprised, given the historical difficulties with typesetting Arabic, and this was out in the 70s. It's perfectly legible for me. And someone else complained there were more vowel markings needed but as an intermediate learner I'm fairly sure of those sounds - there are some grammatical case endings e.g. to remind you about the subjunctive after أن. I was yearning after the new Oxford bilingual dictionary, but couldn't afford it. I've now got plenty of English to Arabic for pennies, and I can access the new dictionary content online for £10 a year. Well worth finding this book - is my early impression. I am enjoying reading out the examples in this.
on 5 July 2008
Actually i have an Arabic mother tongue and an excellent command of English language. I also am a translator from and into English. I have used this book in my translations and my opinion of it is a good one actually. It seems to understand that Arabic language is complex and a certain English verb may not be translated directly into Arabic all the time, and it gives adequate and good formal Arabic. However, i found it not to include all words that can be found in English books, it seems to give the words commonly used and a little bit more. Moreover, it is well arranged. But it is not very professional and does not have pronunciation marks or transliterations (the way an Arabic word is pronounced) for English users.

If you are still yet to learn Arabic, this book is not good for you because it will get you a bit confused.
on 4 March 2012
The dictionary is a must have for all learners of arabic both for those studying Modern and Classical arabic. It is very user friendly and has a huge range of whole translated phrases and idioms.

I would definitely recommend it for the serious student.
on 13 February 2016
Satisfactory. Good Apps of Arabic are much better.
on 4 December 2015
very good book and as described , thank you
on 10 September 2014
service very good. book excellent
on 18 November 2014
good buy. exactly as described