on 21 November 2015
This was a gift for my husband, which he enjoyed - but he did (typically) look up some words which weren't actually in the dictionary.
on 13 February 2012
This is a fascinating book that I can get lost in for hours. If you enjoy learning about the origins of words, then you will enjoy the Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology.

There are a few downsides to this book though. Firstly it was published in 1966 (46 years ago) and it badly needs updating. English has changed a great deal since 1966, and the lack of modern words and modern meanings is frustrating. I don't spend my time looking up rude words, but it is noticeable that there are no swear words in this dictionary.

There are frequent times when words are written in ancient Greek, which I imagine a more modern audience might struggle with.

There are too many abbreviations, which can make understanding some descriptions difficult. In some cases it isn't immediately clear whether words in the descriptions are translations of an ancient word or part of the author's explanation for the etymology.

It is extremely expensive for what it is.

If you realise that the dictionary has a few shortcomings, and money is no object for you, then I recommend buying it. It is probably the only book I own that I could never get bored of reading.
44 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2016
Not comprehensive enough, lacks too many words - better buy a normal Oxford dictionary and a separate etymology
on 29 May 2016
Well it will be a present so I better just say it id wonderful.
on 1 June 2017
great
on 27 June 2015
Excellent
on 13 July 2014
Good dictionary to add to your bookcase if your interest extends to the origin of the English language and how it is used and changed over time. Well edited and documented.
on 11 April 2012
When I first purchased this book and read it, I am definitely sure that this is the one I have been looking for.

However, by the time I have studied a lot from this book, I realized that It had contained a lot of abbreviations and something difficult to understand at the beginner's level.

Not only that, but It would seem that It was written a long time ago and did not update new words which has recently formed and defined.

Nevertheless, I think that It is still a good read to look up when you wonder the origin of words. On a personal note, I place this book besdie my bed.
on 20 August 2015
As advertised
on 28 January 2011
It is an interesting book to understand English words. Probably, it is a summary of etymological part of the Oxford English Dictionary. For foreign English learners, the book is the source of imagination and understanding of English language. It is not so expensive and is worth buying. It will help you learn English.