Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 June 2012
I have just finished studying music at A level and will be continuing it at university, this book is great to look up unfamiliar terms simply and easily. I would recommend this book to anyone studying or interested in music.
on 29 March 2014
Since I am an American, but educated in the UK, I believe I speak with unique candor regarding such things. The truth be known, I have taught in both the private an public sector in the United States for over 45 years. Without a doubt, the Oxford Paperback Reference edition puts to shame the current so-called "Schirmer Manual of Musical Terms", except for the early edition by Theodore Baker which sadly was last revised in 1947 ( all editions after 1947 are worthless and the Schirmer company was purchased by a firm which destroyed one of the last American icons devoted to serious music.
I have found the new Oxford Paperback Reference to be exceptional to anything currently in print in America. Of course, I am one of the few Americans who believe Daniel Webster destroyed English in the "New World" and I only use the British version of both Oxford and Chambers Dictionaries. I would urge both casual and serious music aficionados regardless of your 'Port-of-call' to give this edition a try. I have only one caveat: I wish the size were a few centimeters less as the present size of 19 x 15 cm is a bit too large to be considered a "pocket edition"---but then the description of this item never alludes to such a claim.
on 3 September 2014
I have been using a music dictionary bought in 1967 for 8/6 (43p for the benefit of those under the age of 40!) and although it was almost adequate that's about all it was. So much music now seems to be using german terms I was quite confused and had to keep reverting to the internet. To try it out I took some music recently purchased and looked up all the unknown terminology - all german I must admit. Every one was listed, if not as the main word in the definition then it was identified somewhere in the definition.

Purely an observatation, but this is published in what I call 'lightweight' paper. That is not to say the paper is flimsy - it isn't - but if I compared it with an identical paperback it would weigh much less. Just an observation!

An excellent buy I think.
on 19 March 2010
I've had this a couple of months and i've used it innumerable times already. It hasn't let me down yet.
on 8 January 2013
Informative and interesting one that I would recommend to you even if you do not want it to accompany playing an instrument.
on 6 December 2013
It is essential reading for my daughter's university course. It has been - and still is - very well used.
on 12 April 2014
Concise and compact, great to flick through when you have a spare moment and brilliant when you want to find a definition or word!
on 2 December 2015
Bought it as a present for my friend. She loved it and uses it all the time. I even borrow it sometimes! Great quality.
on 19 June 2016
Fantastic wee book, aiming for grade 5 theory soon and use it all the time.
on 9 July 2014
A excellent reference book to translate those musical terms.