on 17 May 2006
I've just finished a history degree and found this to be a very useful volume to flesh out people and issues with which I wasn't familiar. The range is enormous, and entries give sufficient context and detail to offer genuine help. Yes, there's bound to be a dog-eared copy in the library, but that's no use if you're writing an essay in the small hours and you need a date or biographical details in a hurry! The net will also provide you with the information contained, but perhaps not as easily accessible. A sound investment for students of British history.
on 22 October 2006
As someone else has commentated when doing a degree that they used this book. I did exactly the same for reference when I did not know a certain something. This book is brill. Jonestly if you want a reference book for British History in the 20th century then get this book. I was tempted to sell this book on Amazon, but I am not going to do because I will proably use the book for the rest of my life.