on 17 May 2010
I LOVE this book, as a first year nursing student it is an excellent place to start as it's concise and has good references to further info. It's small and hard-wearing, so it lives in my bag, I often dip into it on bus journeys. It probably is more of an aide-memoire to more experienced nurses or students, but for someone easily overwhelmed by the vast amount of nursing literature out there, this little book is ideal. The only problem is it was published and 2006 and there have been changes in policy/law since then.
on 2 January 2007
Okay, I got this book through the RCN as a free gift and am really glad I didn't pay for it. It has some some quite useful information in it for job interviews but does not give you enough for essays or revising for exams as a student as it feels like reading a powerpoint presentation handout!

As a qualified nurse, I would have to say that this book is completely redundent. I would consider The Oxford Handbook of Psychiatry to be more valuable.

I hope the second edition goes into more depth in almost every area of the book. Try the Handbook of Psychiatric Nursing instead by Gail Stewart instead.
on 26 October 2006
I'm sorry but this book just doesn't cut the mustard. The Oxford Handbooks series are usually first class and above all comprehensive. This title sadly is an exception. I would say inadequate coverage across the range even at student level where it may just pass as an aide memoire with its lists and bullet points. Look to the handbook of psychiatry for much more useful and in-depth guidance.
on 8 January 2015
Great concise wee handbook. I am a 3rd year MH nursing student and while this gives brief information it is useful and helps to give a quick and helpful overview when needed. A godsend at times in a sea of reference books.
on 30 November 2010
An excellent little book, well organised, easy to read and well referenced for more in depth reading. As a Return to Practice nurse I found this little volume invaluable to give me the tasters I needed to orientate myself on topics before exploring topics further.
on 2 March 2011
I got this book from my uni libary in my second year as a student and have found it very useful for giving a basic overview/ insight (alot of the stuff in this book ive not yet covered in uni) I like that fact it has bullet points as it highlights the basics and if you want to know more go away and research that topic. I found it to b useful compaion whlist on placement as it easily fits into my bag. I reccomend this for all m/h students!
on 8 February 2009
This is a must have for mental health students, everything you need to know to give you an overview of mental health nursing. Each topic is about a page long & gives you references for further reading.
on 18 July 2014
Love this book! As a mental health student It is very handy book to take it your bag to placemat mant university as it's small n full of info. Would recommend!
on 17 October 2013
I have read the entire book, but with the few pages or chapters I have read, can see that it's very helpful for practitioners and students
on 18 March 2015
Amazing amazing book. As a 2nd year it's taught me so much wish I'd bought it a year ago! Jargon free and small so you can carry it around