on 28 September 2013
This set of books is decent for the sounds and words that are used, but the actual content is not appropriate for young minds. Gran Is Cross introduces impatience and the idea that every accident such as dropping, or spilling something is the end of the world. Very disappointing from Julia Donaldson.
on 21 November 2011
We bought these books for our son who is in Reception year at school and is just starting to read. Unlike many of the other books we've tried, each set of books introduces one simple set of phonic sounds at a time allowing him to recognise each of the different sounds `sh', `ch' etc. without being bombarded by too many different new sounds in the one book. The book length is perfect for him to manage (16 pages) with good little storylines which keep him interested and wanting to read more. He is able to read most of the books by himself with a little initial help on recognising the new sounds - he's picked the books up to read again and again which is always a good sign!

Very highly recommended!
on 5 April 2011
I ordered this book as my son had it as a reading book from school. 2 weeks later school says we still had it, I knew we didn't, but to keep the peace ordered it to replace the one we "lost". On the day it arrived school said they had it all along . But anyway the kids love it, colourful, wording uses phonics so the boys can "sound out" the story without help. Fun read.
on 20 September 2009
My daughters school follows these Songbird books.
She finds them funny as well as fairly easy to read as there is lots of rhyming text in them.
on 27 March 2010
This collection is good and engaging for reception students. However, I was not impressed by the choice of words. I am not sure that "dumping" the bottles of milk on the front door and calling the "cops" are really appropriate vocabulary for the age group it is targeted at. I had the same kind of issue with another book from the collection: Pen-Pals where there is actually an incorrect grammatical construction: Page 5: "We met Joan's plane. She is very shy." I am sure teachers would not be happy if students were to write these kind of sentences. Quite disappointing from Julia Donaldson