on 18 January 2018
This book is called Macbeth Annotated - This means there should be study/explanation notes printed somewhere in the book, which is not the case. There are NO annotation notes at all, anywhere in this book. The book is A4 size with large font and plenty of space to write annotations, which is good if this is what you need. Very, very disapointing that Amazon had loads of reviews attached to this product that when I investigated more closely, were in fact for other Macbeth annotated books and not this one. I was only able to know this as one reviewer named the book they were reviewing, otherwise I would not have known. Amazon is being trusted that they are being truthful and honest and in this instance they have failed abismally! Not only have they attached reviews from other products to make this sound better than it is, the item is also published by Amazon and as you can see called annotated when it is not. Poor Show Amazon!!!
on 5 March 2017
These are great books, I like teaching with these as they have clear script, pertinent translations and interesting activities. As far as i can tell these newer, larger editions follow the same page numbers as the original, older editions (in case you're thinking of supplementing your class supplies!)
You also have some detailed notes and comments at the back of these books, exploring social and historical context, theme and character etc.
on 17 February 2018
Just what I wanted and needed.We are rehearsing this play for our open air theatre performance in Walthamstow at the end of June 2018.The book was ordered as "used"but just has some notes made in pencil by the previous owner.It is fine for my needs and was delivered promptly.Can not say much more about the purchase at the moment.I do not know the play but will be getting to know and understand the play as our rehearsals progress.I can happily give another review at a later date if requested.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 December 2015
Comic style book using illustrations and today's language. Helpful to encourage kids to read the book and understand the story. Not so good if you're looking for the orginal transcript as well. Other books I've bought have had orginal text on one page and easy to understand version on the opposite page, so this wasn't quite what I was expecting
on 11 September 2017
I think this this is a very misleading title. There are no annotations whatsoever. It is the script of Macbeth but with no annotations at all! If I wanted a copy of Macbeth I would have bought one. This was, for me a complete waste of money. I wonder how many other people have been mislead
by the title of this book
VINE VOICEon 21 August 2008
We might expect an academic who has made her name as a feminist critic to find something interesting to say about 'As You Like It'. Juliet Dusinberre doesn't disappoint. Although its aspects of performance history can be a little wearisome, her Introduction is richly rewarding. Not surprisingly, she makes much of the play's cross-dressing and role-playing (boy playing woman playing man etc.). She finds questions of gender much more ambiguous and complex than they first appear and presents an account of a play in which liberating modes of behaviour can be adopted as easily as costumes can be donned. It is a play which 'redefines gender'.

Equally subversive, she thinks, are the play's allusions to Robin Hood. Duke Senior's comradely courtiers are partners rather than subjects, and his court more communal than hierarchic. Together with the animal welfare concerns expressed in the play, the Duke's vegetarian tendencies (which echo the real-life courtier John Harington's) and Orlando's 'challenge to primogeniture' (it is he, after all, who inherits a dukedom), the 'alternative', revolutionary elements of AYL are neatly drawn attention to.

There are some inspired insights. Touchstone's 'dreadful joke', as Dusinberre calls it (about pancakes in 1.2), makes sense if the court performance at Richmond Palace took place on the Shrove Tuesday of 1599, as she thinks highly likely. She further suggests that some of the play's exotic features (like the lion in 3.2.) were matched by the elaborate wood carvings in Richmond's outer court, while Rosalind's reference to Troilus not dying for love might have been accompanied by a gesture to the tapestry depicting Troy hanging in Richmond's Great Hall where plays were performed. In essence, therefore, she sees the palace as the 'perfect ambience' for the play, with its sense of rural retreat and with deer roaming outside its west wall.

But Dusinberre is careful to present the Forest of Arden as more than just a fairy-tale rural retreat. It is a place that represents the challenge of the unfamiliar and of harsh political exile. It is also a place which reflects the real, contemporary world of displacement brought about by land enclosure and political instability (in the year of Essex's fateful Irish campaign).

The Introduction is also radical and illuminating in its discussion of Elizabethan play reading. Dusinberre argues that AYL is particularly rewarding as a text to be read at leisure and that its wordplay is often better appreciated on the page than on the stage. She argues that puns such as Touchstone's 'faining/feigning' 'could only be appreciated by readers'. Dusinberre examines a recent school of thought (led by Lukas Erne) inclining to the view that not only did the printed word add an extra witty dimension, but that Shakespeare actively took readers into account when writing plays.

The comprehensively researched Commentary is equally impressive. It bears testimony to the rich heritage of Shakespearean scholarship which has unearthed a staggering amount of detail about the halcyon period of English drama, 1590-1610. This edition will probably allow for as full an appreciation of the play as is currently possible.
on 18 May 2015
I am studying this play for A2 English Literature and definitely reccomend this Oxford School Shakespeare edition. This is because of the fact that the text is clearly set out, and it also includes modern English references and annotations at the side to help with understanding. (This is very convenient) Furthermore, there are also some small diagrams and full page photographs of the play in action which I find quite beneficial in expressing the mood and tone of the play. Although it is a slightly more expensive edition than others such as the Wordsworth Classics, it is a very well presented edition with good space for annotations, and I am thoroughly happy that I chose to purchase this one.
on 9 April 2013
My daughters class were "doing" Much Ado about Nothing in English, though they only watched the film.

This annoyed her, so she wanted to read the play, and @I felt a copy with some explanation would be better for her. This was perfect for the job, she could read through and get a "translation" of the more difficult sections.

However, I would have thought that it would be a little brief for GCSE. It was fine for the "I just want to read it", but for more in depth study the notes seem very brief.

I also cannot see this book surviving for any length of time in a schoolbag, the covers are very thin and I would worry that the book would get torn within days.

So, if you want to read the play with some explanation, this is perfect. For a study aid, I would go for one of the more detailed books available.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 6 October 2016
I bought this for my son for doing his GCSE English work at school. There seems to be a few editions which threw me but this seems to have been a good choice and handy in helping him with his work.
on 5 July 2013
I purchased this I think 2 years back.
I've just had a look at the website now: the cover has not changed - it still implies a book worth (£2) whereas what I received was the other, later £1 variety Popular Penguin Classic book edition. Considering I paid considerably more than £1 for the book at the time, I still feel slightly cheated out of the whole experience.
There now appears to be a smaller picture which shows what I received, which at least is an improvement but, surely - these are 2 different books/editions?

Why the fuss? I'm a great fan of the Penguin Classics and for sheer value for money would highly recommend them.
However different editions can make a difference: a cheaper edition may not have an introduction, or have one as good as a slightly more expensive edition. The quality of the paper/printing may not be as good. This may not matter much to some people but in this case: (this is Shakespeare text after all!) a good intro, or presentation of the text can enhance/help in one's reading of the contents. It can make or break one's love for Shakespeare!
I was willing to take a risk in seeing what the weightier-looking book 'in green' had to offer - so imagine my disappointment when I received the cheaper version instead.

Anyway - presentation aside, the story itself is fine and worth much more a read or two...
It's a 'quieter', more contemplative Shakespeare play (say, compared to Midsummer Night's Dream) but the appreciation grows the more it's read (preferably out loud). A deeper 'Pastoral' in that respect. It has probably one of the best developed/emotionally intelligent Shakespeare females you'll come across, in Rosalind) and it contains some of THE most famous song-like speeches that we know, so it may not initially make as much an impact as the other Shakespeare comedies but grab a guitar and SING this around the camp fire a few times and it'll soon become clear why it could become a favourite.