on 19 May 2018
This could be rated 1 star or 5 depending on the judgement criteria chosen. Ramadan's words are so opaque and impenetrable that what we discover is that he's either unwilling or unable to explain himself openly and clearly. (There are only occasional glimpses of anything solid, like his opposition to gay rights). So the book does a 5 star job of presenting Ramadan's views for what they are - posturing, philosophical babble with hints of dogma and intolerance. However, I've gone for 1 star on the basis that you shouldn't waste your time on it - all you will learn is what a great guy he thinks he is and that he has nothing of substance to contribute.
on 28 April 2018
No issues. Great Service.
on 25 June 2016
If only the Taliban/Daesh would read this too.
on 8 September 2014
all good
on 7 December 2014
Explaining identity
Criticality
Having understandable language
It would be great if he could mention something more about terrorism and terror
on 1 August 2014
Dr Tariq Ramadan as always know how to talk to her via his book
on 19 February 2011
Tariq Ramadan is being called by some an extremist, I believe those people simply never opened any his book and just do not know what exactly they are talking about. I can't see how calling on people to be more responsible for the societies and countries live in can be called "extremism"?
The book is short and aimed to familiarize reader with Ramadan's point of view, which I believe can be shared not only by Muslims but most of the people in modern societies.
One person found this helpful
on 13 February 2014
My first thought upon receiving this book was "Oh it's so small!". I was expecting a thick biography sized book. Except this book isn't a biography. It is small and it looks cute. Yes a 'cute' book!

Anyway I thought the title of the book meant "what I Believe regarding Islams rules and regulations".
It doesn't.
To me It now seems the title is more like "what I believe Muslims should be doing to integrate and get on in life".

I was expecting him to tell us more about the nitty gritty. Does he believe women need to wear a scarf? Does he pray 5 times a day? Should women be allowed to lead prayers? Does he want or believe in Sharia law etc

In fact he does mention in this book that (some of) these questions are the sort that we Muslims are asked and really shouldn't be. As people use these type of questions to judge if we are fundamental Muslims or not.

So maybe that makes me a bad person for wanting to know? Or maybe I am just nosy. Either way these are the sort of questions I thought were going to be answered.

I can understand why he hasn't mentioned his beliefs regarding such questions. Whatever his answers are people will criticise. He's too strict, he's not practising, he's fundamental etc etc. You can't please everyone all of the time. Also I suppose he doesn't need to give his 'haters' ammunition.

Admittedly he does state some of his views, for example homosexuality. He does have reservations regarding homosexuals marrying and adopting.
Though also respects them for who they are despite not sharing the opinions and actions as to their sexuality.

He also states that anti Semitism is anti-Islamic, yet criticising Israel and it's colonisation is NOT antisemitic. Which of course is so true.

Personally I would have preferred to read more on what he does believe rather than him saying what he doesn't.

I did enjoy the book even if it wasn't as expected. Page 44 certainly resonated with me. He said "the growing number of converts, used to become "Arabized" or "Pakistanized" to feel more Muslim" but now are less likely to do so.

I agree totally with this. I remember once wearing an Asian outfit (I just liked it) and someone told me I was now a 'Proper Muslim'. From that day I never wore one again. I am not Asian nor married to an Asian nor have to wear Asian clothes to be a Muslim.

I am proud to be British but I am also Proud to be Muslim. I can be and am both.

I would recommend this book both to Muslims and Tariqs critics. He talks mainly about integration, immigration and how we as Muslims need to stop acting like victims and make our own stand in our countries. It is not unislamic to be patriotic after all.
6 people found this helpful
on 24 July 2010
Ramadan describes how a pluralist society can and should live together: not each going separate ways but all acting supportively to build a coherent society with common values. He has been criticised by people from all shades of opinion for daring to suggest that this is possible, but it is hard to argue with his clarity of thought.
2 people found this helpful
on 2 October 2013
Lovely book but I much prefer to read the "Meaning of the life of the Prophet Mohamed" (May Allah's peace be upon Him). Of course 2 different books. Really enjoyed to read or listen Tariq Ramadhan, he is certainly a breath of fresh air in our society and will definitely recommend to watch his debate especially with French famous people. It is quite sad to see how many French people are so reluctant to Islam. (I am French myself).