on 14 May 2017
Very informative book. It has helped me to become a much better practitioner by providing guidelines for warming up, practise essentials, habits of excellence, which helped me to play a lot better, easier, and make my practise sessions go from being a bit dull to being thoroughly more enjoyable overall. I highly recommend this product
on 7 August 2017
Bought for my father who enjoyed it. It helped him understand the music that he loved so much.
on 29 March 2017
Best book of its type I have ever read.Packed with useful information on every page. Every musician who wants to improve should read this book.
on 12 July 2013
I don't often write reviews on Amazon, but I felt I should say something about this excellent book. I had previously bought several other books on practice techniques, stage preparation, dealing with performance stress, interpretation etc... but wish I had bought this book first, as it has it all in one place! In addition, what is covered is genuinely good material and is supported by other research I have read elsewhere. I would highly recommend this book - it will be useful for both amateurs and professionals and will help you to move your musicianship forward and reach new highs. Many of us get stuck on a plateau after a while, and this book helped my to get out of that. Definitely worth the money!!
on 19 January 2015
This book covers every possible aspect of learning to play and instrument. Even though primarily intended for professional musicians, the topics he covers would also benefit amateur musicians.
on 26 September 2015
This is a really good book - it's not much of an overstatement to say that it changed my life! It has certainly helped to bring clarity and focus to my music making. The advice is very practical, and focuses on three areas - practice, performance, and wellness (looking after yourself, avoiding injury, etc). All musicians, whether amateur or (aspiring) professional can find useful tips. After all, even if you never intend to perform in public, you will get more pleasure from your music if you master the art of learning new pieces efficiently. For the aspiring professional, or the serious amateur, the wisdom here is invaluable.
on 4 February 2012
Full of all the gems that most musicians will gather if they study long enough, and quite a few that they might well not come across anywhere else.
A must for the armoury of any aspiring professional (and professionally-minded amateur) musician.
on 1 March 2011
I am learning piano (grade 5)and have found this to be a book that can be read again and again it contains so much information.The guidance it gives is clear cut not happy clappy hippy drivel that some books on practice contain.
I pick it up continually to refer to anything that may enter my mind (believe me there's plenty of room in there)!
If you are learning ANY instrument then this book is for you.His website is also excellent.
on 30 March 2016
The book is primarily written for the musician who performs classical music, but it's jam packed with ideas and suggestions that can be used in all musical style (yes, I play rock and metal and I found it useful).
on 26 February 2017
Probably the best guide for improving your musicianship. Excellent, practical advice that from my experience 'works'.