on 7 March 2011
Forget the collins buy this and you will be on target for understanding the bible at Oxford detail level. The book itself is built very well indeed and large enough to be an easy read. The notes are modern and up to date. I am a bible student and have several bibles, this one is one of my favorites. Very solid will last a long time. Buy it.
on 13 January 2013
This is a mainstream annotated NRSV bible with excellent notes and essays. Though the critical line taken in this publication is fairly moderate, some more conservative evangelicals might find some of the views taken unacceptable, and for them there are other options. I have also got a copy of the Harper Collins study bible. That is equally good, in my view.
on 12 May 2015
Exactly what I was looking for to help me with my annotations for my next publication and also to provide in-depth analysis in my studies. Don't settle for anything less. True scholarly work and up to date. A must for any serious scholar or Christian Author.
on 19 June 2017
Lovely reference book
on 29 March 2014
Brilliant for a Bible scholar.Packed with so much extra information. My only criticism would be the pages are super thin.
on 16 January 2013
I have just completed ( after five years and much testing spiritually ) the Methodist Faith and Worship course, and have my accreditation service on 3rd. February. I was invited to choose a Bible to celebrate this achievement and was recommended the New RSV, but wanted a good study Bible as well. Having read several reviews on Amazon, this seemed to be the most popular. It lives up to the reviews and more. I would certainly suggest it to anyone else wanting to study the Bible in depth, or just wanting a really helpful version of the Bible to steer them through their spiritual journey.
on 8 April 2012
Like many other Oxford titles, such as the Oxford Bible Commentary, this is an indispensable resource for serious biblical and theological study. Not only the individual books have introductions and chapter/verse commentaries but there are also very useful essays on the books that may not be the focus of one's particular studies that go a long way to form a high-level but rounded knowledge of those books. This is a substantial and serious reference that will serve any student well for many years; my only complaint is that there isn't (as of writing) a Kindle version.
on 17 November 2015
I bought this because it's listed as a Kindle edition. This edition is not formatted for Kindle. It's like a pdf, so you can't increase the size of the text, only of the page. Therefore, in reading it, you have to scroll across the page, which is disorienting. Misleading advertising for those of us with poor eyesight.
on 7 March 2012
Anyone running a Bible class would find this Bible to be of great help. I think the five star rating I have given is well worth it.
on 4 October 2010
The New Oxford Annotated Bible Fourth Edition is an excellent scholarly encounter with the scriptures. Each book is given a thorough introduction with plenty of information for the reader. The annotations are very good as one would expect with an Oxford publication. There are a number of essays and a short concordance as well as good colour maps. Overall I would recommend this for those seeking a scholarly encounter with the Bible.